Resolving issues with Explorer account storage limits

Hey Replit Builders,

We know there have been frustrating issues with rolling out new account storage limits to Explorers. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We’ve read through each post and appreciate the feedback you’ve shared. As a result, we would like to share three key updates:

1. User grace period
  2. Guidance on what contributes to storage quota
  3. Clarity on new account storage limits

User grace period

Later this week, we will push out a fix that offers a grace period of increased account storage for users hitting their limits up to 200 GiB. This should solve the majority of issues explorers are running into with the new account storage limits.

Update on grace period storage: We realized setting an arbitrary 200 GiB limit can be confusing and difficult to track for builders. Instead, we will simply not be enforcing storage limits during the grace period.

Update on grace period timeline: We’re testing out the storage fixes currently and will release them to explorers by the end of next week, July 14th. We want to be very thorough on testing to ensure the storage experience is seamless.

This grace period will continue to exist pending two updates:

1. A mechanism to mass delete Repls so you don’t have to go through them one by one.
  2. The ability to purchase additional storage independent of your Free, Hacker, or Pro plan.

Once these product improvements are in place, we will notify builders and provide an additional 30 day grace period for users to manage their Repls before enforcements go live.

Guidance on what contributes to storage quota

Additionally, there have been many questions on what does or does not count towards the storage limit. We intend to do a more comprehensive breakdown in our documentation, but for now, we want to answer the most common questions.

Anything under your Repls “home dir” will count towards your storage limit. In a Repl, that is “~/$REPL_SLUG”. For packages, it depends on where they have been installed. Node modules, for example, will count towards your storage limit. We know the package location piece is a bit confusing. In our next post, we will have examples of popular package installations and whether or not they’ll count towards storage limits.

Clarity on new account storage limits

The storage limits on the current pricing page are legacy limits and were not enforced. We will be updating the pricing page with the new limits this week. The new account storage limits are 4 to 20x higher:

• Free Plan: 10 GiB
  • Hacker plan: 20 GiB
  • Pro plan: 50 GiB

We will have the grace period for increased account storage out by this week. In the meantime, we recommend turning off explorer if you are running into account storage issues.

Thanks,
The Replit Team

16 Likes

What will happen to our repls if our account storage is still over the limit by the time the grace period expires?

7 Likes

A lot of people including my self use Node as our main language. Most packages wont fill it up but some packages are huge. And what about if a lot of your repls are using the same package. Does it count that many times or can packages be installed globally to reduce the amount of storage.

I also remember in the community slack somebody part of the team said that they would not count or they would be installed for all Replit users so they would not count towards storage.

What is the pricing of this going to be? And will it be monthly or can you buy a “dedicated” drive that you will have for life like I suggested in the other topic.

8 Likes

Could you consider increasing that, or at least making FUSE work in repls (so network filesystems could be used by users)?

7 Likes

Could you also add a way for users to download lots of Repls at once?

8 Likes

ye Could their be a way to Mass download Repls too.

5 Likes

@replitconner Just wondering but aren’t tutorials/courses(100 days of code) also implemented into your account storage? Is that a separate thing or will it count towards this limit?

6 Likes

Those are “just” normal Repls, so yes, they should count towards the limit.

4 Likes

I would hate to see random alts just for doing a course lol

6 Likes

Hey Joe, in that situation an account will no longer be able to create new Repls until they manage storage to be under their plan limit.

5 Likes

Hey HackerDude, 100 Days of code repls will also count towards your total account storage limit.

2 Likes

Hey 9pfs1, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll make sure to submit this request to the team. We do have other tasks to prioritize related to account storage, so I can’t make any promises on this being available before account limits get enforced.

7 Likes

SOON. we have it enabled behind a flag and will do a bit more work on it after we land expandable storage.

how are you planning to use this?

2 Likes

Are you meaning that FUSE support is being worked on and nearly ready?
I’d probably use it to do things like mounting another repl’s filesystem using sshfs and mounting archives using archivemount.

what!!

ive been a replit user for a long while now, and these repls take like 1/10 of my space. oh yea, I have to delete each repl ONE BY ONE
can you add an option to sort repls by how much space they use up
WAIT! SOME OF THESE REPLS DONT EVEN EXIST ANYMORE AND ITS STILL COUNTING TOWARD MY LIMIT!

6 Likes

Thats probly a caching issue. Mabey wait a day

4 Likes

I deleted that Repl like 2 days ago

2 Likes

FUSE support is not being worked on at the moment, it’s currently on hold until after expandable storage lands and is completely done.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: What is Fuse in programming?

I finally got the storage thing.
I have noticed for myself and for others that although the numbers show I am exceeding my limit, the bar does not? Why is this? Is this a bug or something intentional (if so for what purpose)?

4 Likes