What is FUSE in programming?

Continuing the discussion from: Resolving issues with Explorer account storage limits - #14 by 9pfs1

What is FUSE? I never heard of it.

5 Likes

Looking at the posts, I reckon it’s some file system of some sort.

4 Likes

I believe FUSE allows “non-root” users to create their own FSs or something, but you might want to google a bit.

Found this Wikipedia article if you want to give it a read.

4 Likes

Ok that’s just a joke. You can’t just have different types of File Systems, that just doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE) is a software interface for Unix and Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create their own file systems without editing kernel code.

Don’t really understand it that well, but I wouldn’t think Wikipedia would just flat out lie.

4 Likes

Fuse is kinda a feature that allows you to control the behavior of a program without changing the source code.

For example, you know when you use a Discord bot and you can configure a New Prefix to use?
You are changing the configuration of the program without changing the source code.

Usually companies use this to let their users modify the program without having to modify its underlying codebase.

(Of course this is programming related)

4 Likes

Well I was WAY off, that makes a lot more sense :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was referring to!

Actually, you were right!

3 Likes

What do you mean by that? There are many different filesystems. Windows usses NTFS, Linux uses ext4, BTRFS, and others, flashdrives use some form of FAT, etc. Did you mean that you can’t embed one filesystem in another without root as was described by bobastley’s Wikipedia link?

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.