Increase storage for the free tier

Describe your feature request
I would like either (or both) of the following changes made to overall account storage on Replit:

1. The account storage is increased drastically (perhaps 20 or 25 GB)
  2. Only new Repls count towards the storage limits, not old ones

What problem(s) would this feature solve?
Some people simply have too many Repls on the free tier to effectively delete enough to get under the storage limit. Even with improvements in the management of Repls, getting under the current storage limits is difficult. I realize it is currently only for explorers, but the sooner this issue is addressed, the better.

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
I was trying to use Replit with explorer turned on and despite deleting dozens of Repls totaling several GB, I am still over the limit by 1GB. Many others are hopelessly over the limit. Will Replit condemn them to purge their accounts or will Replit come up with a generous solution as they did concerning egress?

10 Likes

I think that Hacker and Pro should get even more storage, possibly up to quadrupling their current amount. Most of Replit’s alternatives allocate so much storage, it’s almost never an issue.

I guess I understand their current allocations for the free plan though, considering they have to allocate 10 GiB for every user (and there are over 24 million).

6 Likes

One of the most important parts of Replit (perhaps the most important) is its community. Naturally, older accounts tend to engage more than brand-new accounts (and older accounts tend to produce higher-quality content). These older users have been using Replit for longer, and some of us may have hundreds (if not thousands) of repls. Many of the most helpful contributors to Replit Ask are among those older users. We have supported Replit in the past, even when we disagreed with Replit’s decisions. Although our storage usage may make us appear to be more expensive than other users, we more than make up for that in our contributions to this forum.
A business’s customer support is one of the most important aspects of a successful business. Replit has decided to delegate most support tasks (e.g. resolving minor issues that users may have) to us, the users. We are all unpaid volunteers, but we often contribute more than even Replit’s paid employees (as is shown by this forum’s leaderboard, where most of the top contributors are not employed by Replit). We have invested hours of our time into helping Replit succeed, and we deserve compensation for our efforts. The storage limits our making it difficult for us to use Replit and help users on Ask with issues, so one of the easiest ways that Replit could repay us would be increasing these storage limits so we are not forced to find a new hosting provider.

Remember, Replit committed to helping the next generation of developers, not monetizing them and being a labor provider for previous generations of developers. Is this what Replit’s founders envisioned Replit becoming when they created it?

10 Likes

I think Replit needs to implement some sort of system, where if you use Replit actively, you are granted more storage capacity, and vice-versa for inactive Replit users. This will allow Replit to adapt its storage to users who need it more, and so they aren’t just allocating 10 GiB for that one person that made a single Python Repl two years ago and never came back to Replit.

And while this is super crummy, one of the easiest ways to do this is to delete certain accounts (or Repls, and under very strict criteria) that fall into this criteria. An example would be an account that was a single Repl, and that Repl had not been touched by anyone in the past two years.

If that was done just four times, a user that actually used Replit would have enough storage to continue developing on the platform.

6 Likes

I am one of those users. Despite deleting dozens of repls and freeing approximately 30 GiB of storage, I am still at least 40 GiB above the storage limit. If something does not change, I will be forced to abandon Replit.

6 Likes

Deleting spambot accounts that do nothing but fork other repls to promote them would be a good way to start.

6 Likes

If Replit is super desperate for storage, another option would be to track users IP’s and split the storage between all of the user’s accounts registered on that IP. This would 100% anger many users, especially ones with siblings and other family members that also use Replit, but it would definitely allow Replit to allocate larger amounts of storage in general, so in a way it would pay for itself?

Edit: Schools would be badly hit by this, but it would encourage them to upgrade to paid education plans for more storage across their school/district, which revenue generated from that could be used to alter storage for other plans even more.

6 Likes

Replit already records user IPs, so that would be possible.

6 Likes

Well said, all of it.

I would like to expand upon this: there are times where it is helpful to fork OP’s project on Ask to better help them. I have linked my forks on Ask before, but am now forced to delete them to comply with storage limits. Thus, if anyone on Ask comes to see the solution I presented via a fork, it will simply not be there.

5 Likes

Or if you use Ask actively but not Replit. Ask and Replit both take time so I believe many of us only do one or the other. However, when those of us who work hard to help people on Ask want a place to code, if such a system was in place, we should be rewarded too even though we don’t code as much.

6 Likes

Replit is free for educators to use, so that shouldn’t affect schools.

3 Likes

It’s worth noting that many of us (including myself and @anon40284853) have spent more time reading posts on Ask than any of the site moderators and admins who are employed by Replit.

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Do community members do more than paid staff on Ask?

We already do. A lot of them.

There is no paid EDU plan on Replit. Teams for EDU is completely free and there’s no upgraded tier of it. @DavidAtReplit

There is currently only 1 person that was a site mod before they worked at Replit where their job is T&S (Ray). And when we summon ask them to reply to a topic they do.

6 Likes

Please continue to disscus and share feedback on the change but please remember the community guidelines. Especially these rules

7 Likes

There is currently only 1 person that was a site mod before they worked at Replit where their job is T&S (Ray). And when we summon ask them to reply to a topic they do.

Actually Conner was a site mod before he started working at Replit.

8 Likes

We’re pretty laissez-faire with this forum so y’all can help each other out and we can focus on taking feedback from here and working on it :slight_smile: imagine if our engineers took 3-4 hours out of their work day to come here - we get no work done :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Tried to explain that lol

4 Likes

Um, there are two conners lol (ik which one though)

4 Likes

Actually, I think free storage is in a pretty good place right now.

Replit gives 10GiB for free.
Dropbox gives 2GB.
Google Drive gives 15GB
OneDrive gives 5GB.

Yes, these services are nothing like Replit. But they’re also backed by giant corporations (which Replit is not).
And you’re getting a lot for free with Replit. I do think that they should’ve communicated to us more about the changes, but overall free storage is pretty good.
As for paid, well…
Yeah, it’s not quite as good. But I don’t think it’s a massive issue. It’s annoying to clear out old repls, but once you’ve done it, you don’t really need to do it again and most projects won’t take you anywhere near the limit and you’ll be able to buy more storage with cycles soon.

7 Likes