Download Large Repl

Problem description

My Repl’s Python environment fully broke, so I want to transfer it to a new Repl. In order to do this I must download the Repl, but some weird hidden (and unecessary) packages like CUDA are installed, it’s a HUGE full download which shows as “cancelled” after one gigabyte. If I delete a bunch of folders like .cache and zip it into a singular file (~300MB), it just loads forever. I need a way to get my Python files from Replit to my computer.

Expected behavior

There should be a way to select which files you download, or download a Repl without venv/.cache/etc.
Alternatively, there might be an already existing way to do it that I just do not know.

Actual behavior

There does not seem to be a way to do this, the full Repl download cancels, and the manual zip file loads forever.

Steps to reproduce

Create a Python Repl, install NVIDIA CUDA (or anything else that makes the Repl >1GB), add your own file, and try to download it.

Browser

Chrome

OS

Mac OS

Device if mobile

2022 MacBook Air

Plan

Core membership

Hi @CallumCM !
You can click the 3 dots next to each file in the Files sidebar and select ‘Download’ to download that specific file.
Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, the reason I ran into this problem is there’s too many files in my Repl to download manually–there’s maybe 30 Python files, so it would be wonderful if there were a more convinient way to download them.

Generally, the way to do this is to fork the repl, show hidden files, and delete everything except the source code.
Otherwise, you could probably ask AI for a Shell command to generate a more customizable zip file, then download that.

2 Likes

What would this do? How would it help if hidden files are shown?

So, the problem is that the OP wants to download their repl’s source code. The source code obviously doesn’t take a lot of storage. However, a bunch of unnecessary stuff like the entire 1 GiB NVIDIA CUDA package that’s in the repl also gets zipped, which actually just prevents the repl from being zipped.

These unwanted files are inside hidden directories. So, to download just the source code, one would fork the repl. Then, show hidden files and delete them (it is much easier to delete hidden files/directories if you can see them). Now you can easily download the repl as zip because only the source code is left.
Am I assuming/misinterpreting anything, or does anything need clarification? (Including you @Firepup650, if you give a :question: then please clarify your confusions or give a better solution, unless I’m really just being stupid.)

Note: downloading a repl as zip seems to include all files/directories that are not prefixed with a . which is a convention for hidden files. The venv folder would be included in the zip, and so many old repls are extremely annoying to zip.

So, for the actual solution, let’s avoid the XY problem by examining OP’s post a bit closer. The OP says their env broke and they want to transfer to a new repl. This is not necessary, and they only need to update the configuration.

First, optionally fork repl as a backup. Then, show hidden files. Copy the configuration from a new or recent python repl: .replit and pyproject.toml (remember what packages you installed). Delete replit.nix, venv, .config, .cache. Then, refresh, and install your packages. This should fix the environment, and doesn’t take that long to do.

This topic is really actually a feature request for a valid problem (though not a bug report). Cannot download entire folders easily, only files or the entire repl. Similar feature requests and topics are listed below:
Download Folders
Import from another Repl, download entire folder
How do you download replit folders to your system?
I experience this problem myself. There must be some sort of reason why replit has not implemented it, but they have not said what it is.

I’m… not sure why I reacted with a :question: tbh.

My minifier should work for that, right?

2 Likes

Mm, forgot.

@CallumCM, fork your repl as backup, and run this Shell command:

curl -s https://firepup650.replit.app/raw/minifier|bash -s

Then, reinstall your packages. This will update your repl to the correct configuration and probably fix any environment issues.

(If you are still having issues, share a link to a public fork of your repl.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.