Changes to Hosting on Replit!

That is correct from what has been said. Im guessing it would just be killed if you hit your egress limit.

3 Likes

I know, right? Theyā€™re trying to use these statistics like:

And stuff like that, when itā€™s CLEAR that these are not accurate

2 Likes

replit seems misleading, too into AI, their pricing is going all or nothing with a heavy markup

4 Likes

with the catch that if the ā€œprotectionā€ fails, someone gets around it, with little money they can cost a user more than $670. If you have a spending limit, woe is you and your sites just cease to work.

2 Likes

If i am understanding things correctly, it appears that in order to continue hosting a couple of discord bots, i would need to move both to reserved vm's starting at $12.80/mo each (this $6/mo figure being bandied about is lovely for a press release, but i donā€™t think anyoneā€™s app is actually going to thrive in .25 vCPU, so thatā€™s a bit of a straw man at best). Further, that pricing stands only if the bot can actually live in .5 vCPU, which is far from a given; once tested itā€™s quite likely that a whole vCPU will be required bumping the cost of each to $25.60/mo.

so we are looking at an additional ~$51 a month just to keep the bots that iā€™m running today for ~$200/yr, tripling the costs and this just to keep access to a filesystem that is currently a paid extra.

not to mention numerous other repls iā€™m running, most of which rely on a persistent filesystem. Perhaps those could be refactored in the long long time between now and January, to store all assets off site in S3/B2 buckets and then i get to fret about egress charges, which iā€™d expect will blow past included limits, raising the prices even further.

wow. after the last change quadrupling my annual spend on replit, i think this latest change is actually the one that will force me to pack up and leave.

why?

7 Likes

If you set a spending limit, this is impossible.

3 Likes

Maybe this was already addressed, but what is the point of charging users to simply keep their static sites up after closing the editor? As I already explained above, Iā€™m disgusted with such a change like this, but I never saw any reason why a change like this needed to be made in the first place.

3 Likes

instead youā€™re forced to live without your websites whilst you wait for the attackers to stop, then add more money, and lose it again.

1 Like

Although the $60k+ number is accurate, it doesnā€™t account for all the inactive bounties.
This issue still hasnā€™t been solved since Dec last year.

2 Likes

Yall is just trying to get more money. I host a chatting website on Replit, and thanks to Replit I might have to cancel it.

I highly suggest you reverse this

1 Like

I have read comments again. The first thing I think should be cleared up is: people arenā€™t mad about static sites. If we want to host static sites, weā€™ll go to GitHub pages or glitch or something. I want to keep my free dynamic sites free. If I want to upgrade those to deployment or whatever I will, and Iā€™ll pay for it. Itā€™s neat that the static cap will be removed, but that affects maybe 5 of my repls. I canā€™t use Heroku or AWS because I donā€™t have a credit card. Glitch barely works, and itā€™s just horrid for making APIā€™s. As far as I can tell you guys are the only free dynamic hosting provider out there thatā€™s bearable. This change affects every Discord bot, Database, API, Blog site, Commerce site, Social Media site, and File Share site on your platform. Thatā€™s what makes this change so terrible.

8 Likes

Is there an API to deploy static sites? Iā€™d like to have students share their projects the way they always have (using the .repl.co URL), but under the hood, some Replit API is called to deploy that site and return the .repl.app URL.

2 Likes

There could very well be one, but Replit no longer gives away its API, because people abused it to make follow bots or comment bots.

3 Likes

Summed up quite a lot of this info at https://noreplit.com/

11 Likes

But the spending limit has its own minimum requirementā€¦

2 Likes

ā€œTo give more reliable Replsā€ and to ā€œhelp our usersā€ even though thatā€™s clearly not what the users want

2 Likes

Found out about the update todayā€¦

Itā€™s quite disappointing to see Replit to change in such ways. Iā€™m still a student and I am 13 years old, so I donā€™t have a credit card nor the ability to pay. Replit itself mostly consists of students like me, which also canā€™t pay for your so-called ā€œservices that benefit everyoneā€.

Not like Iā€™m complaining, but I just want to note that this update is a huge step to burying Replit into its own grave.

It still was fun to code and deploy on this platform, so I can at least thank you guys for letting me try this outā€¦ Even for a limited period of time.

And no, donā€™t say stuff like ā€œStatic Hosting and Code Editing is still freeā€, it doesnā€™t change anything. Why use Replit for static hosting, when CF/GH pages exist? Why write code on Replit, when VSCode exists?

Iā€™m sure that a lot of Replit users will agree with me. Youā€™re destroying your own purpose without even noticing that. Replit was always a platform that allowed you to host whatever you write, in minutes. For free. Now, you either provide a credit card to verify yourself, or you pay, for literally everything. Now I think Iā€™ll be moving to different platforms.

Quite the sad ending, I admit. But, to be honest, this update was only a matter of time.

12 Likes

Really, this is quite disappointing. I am now a paid user of Replitā€™s Pro plan, which I did not want to be forced into. Deployments doesnā€™t even include any new features. Super disappointed with Replit right now. Please remove these useless features!

9 Likes

They wonā€™t listen to you and will do what they want, as always

6 Likes

No, donā€™t give in! We need to boycott this

3 Likes