Changes to Hosting on Replit!

Oh nice, was this a recent decision that hasn’t been documented yet? So with no credit card on file, what happens when the limit is hit?

4 Likes

I’m not sure. With the current hosting Replit slowly throttles your resources until your project dies. Probably a similar thing. Several users have said they’d rather Replit kill their project than provide a payment method.

3 Likes

I agree with those users!

5 Likes

Hi there! Great questions.

In a few weeks, your students will be able to use static deployments without a credit card. We’ve heard your feedback, and will make that change.

If they are working on something that can’t be statically deployed, I’d recommend that you tell them to invite the friend/teacher/parent to the Repl using the invite link. They’ll still be able to run the project from inside the workspace.

We remain committed to providing a powerful free development experience to anyone who wants to code.

7 Likes

I gotta pay an extra $7 a month??? I’m already paying $20/mo for pro

1 Like

This is… marginally better. But what about people who aren’t using replit in class??

3 Likes

They will also not need a credit card to use static deployments.

3 Likes

Okay… this is alright. I still think that replit is on their last strike though.

No. That’s all I have to say about this, really.

2 Likes

Actually, no- I do have more to say, but I’ll keep it short.

I’ll be downloading all of my Repls when my new house gets Ethernet, and will be migrating all my projects to DigitalOcean/Cloudflare pages in December.

If you would like to do the same and save up to 50%, I’ll make a guide eventually.

I shouldn’t need to explain why I’m doing this at this point. You all know.

I haven’t seen this post until today, as well.

4 Likes

I’d appreciate a guide as i’ve changed my mind and am going to leave.

2 Likes

Signup on amcforum.wiki, I’ll post one there when I get my head around it, won’t be soon.

1 Like

I’m already on there and active

3 Likes

Since I have given some negative feedback, I just wanted to say that I am very pleased to hear that there will be no payment method required.

4 Likes

Will that be for just static or for autoscale as well? I’d hope it would be for both.

3 Likes

Why not CF Pages for static?

1 Like

I don’t ultimately want static anyway. I like the ability to have a backend so Autoscale appeals to me the most.

4 Likes

No, they’re right. Look at the Bounties page. It’s only “Open” Bounties with 20+ applications, and they’re just there to take up space. You’ll see one actually active Bounty for every, about 10 “bot” ones.

3 Likes

all the top rewarding ones I can see are months old, definitely stale. The “60K+ Open” badge is wildly misleading.

7 Likes

Oh really? lmao

Still, I’m pretty happy that static deployments will be 100% free (at least within our egress if I’m understanding correctly)

1 Like