When are we going to get pricing bundles?

When the pricing changes were announced and then Pro was announced (and other changes IIRC) we were told there would be packages to help our wallets when we get stuff on Replit.

(and I remember it being said in many other places but cant find it after a quick search, after all package is a common term in programming)

We were told it would be worthwhile to get bundles to help us get what we did before while spending less money than just cycles/a plan. It has been a little more than 6 months since we were told and there have not been any pricing bundles. Are they still going to be a thing? And if so when will they be released and how long will they last?

13 Likes

Is this a joke? 10GB for the free tier is not “more storage than you will know what to do with.” It is free, so I’m not complaining about the 10GB at this time (we’ll see once it’s out of beta), but seriously 10GB is not much. I have more storage than that on my SMALLEST flash drive. Even many mobile devices dwarf that, with 32, 64, 128, or perhaps sometimes even more gigabytes of storage.

8 Likes

It’s ridiculous. If you expect us to use 10 GiB of egress in a month, you can’t seriously expect us to use the same amount of storage during the entire time we’ve had our accounts, especially when many Replit users have used Replit as their primary development platform and hosting provider for months, if not years. The average Replit user has more than 10 Repls, and many of us have over a thousand. Forcing us to use less storage is like forcing a semi truck into a 6-inch pipe: It won’t work, and if you force it to work, the aftermath’s definitely not going to be pretty. Most of us (including me) would rather give up on Replit than be forced to delete >80% of our projects (many of us have spent precious hours of our lives working on our projects, and we’d hate to lose them).

9 Likes

Yes the storage limit should always be greater than the egress limit. Period. I like your comparisons.

6 Likes

Agreed. That doesent mean Egress should be lowered so storage would be higher that it though

5 Likes

Yes if they lower egress, I think a lot of people would just leave. Storage needs to be increased.

6 Likes

I completely agree with this.

3 Likes

I’d like to remind y’all that storage costs money, and money doesn’t grow on trees :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I agree and for free storage you can’t ask much (although Google gives 15GB and Replit is only 10). But 10GB IS NOT more than I can fathom, as the post by Jesse suggested.

6 Likes

Forcing most of Replit’s most active users to stop using Replit due to excessively low limits isn’t exactly going to make Replit more profitable.

7 Likes

Taking away persistent filesystems (deployments) is not an improvement. If forces us to be dependent on ReplDB, which is a major step backwards. We can only hope that beta hosting remains for many years to come.

5 Likes

Many users are strongly considering leaving because of these changes. Some have turned against Replit completely and many are no longer active due to these changes. I have not turned against Replit or left, but I must say that some things that have happened recently bother me.

5 Likes

Pardon my limited understanding of finances, but the less free users using subsidized compute and the more conversion to paid tiers the better, no? :upside_down_face:

(not an official statement, personal opinion/understanding)

4 Likes

I’m sorry; what does that mean?

3 Likes

No one’s going to use a paid tier just for more storage. Replit is just driving users away. Maybe when you can buy more storage, they’ll pay, but if someone’s using Replit for free, forcing them to either pay or stop using Replit isn’t usually going to make them want to pay.

6 Likes

If you anger the free users by breaking everything they’ve worked on, they’re not going to pay. They’re going to find a better hosting provider to use.

6 Likes

Think about it like this, Replit as an organization makes money by (simplification) “selling compute” and “selling tokens”. Replit also subsidizes (pays for) a free tier for users. Now if Replit has more users in the free tier taking away money and not enough users in the paid tier giving money, then Replit would be losing money, yes?

In a larger scale that is pretty much what has been happening for a long time, and we’ve had to make a lot of changes in order to fix that loss. Pushing users to pay or use a limited tier fixes that a bit, but we’re still effectively losing money in the free tier and free tier users are not happy. Hence why paid tiers are made more appealing.

We’re still exploring options for how to make free tier viable this isn’t us killing free tier off, just give us some time to make Replit better as a whole :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This is a nice way of putting it. I know what upsets me (and a bunch of others AFAIK) is the lack of communication. Thank you for at least telling us something.

6 Likes

Your right communication is important. The storage migration process was partly an oversight on our side, but also it is only out to Explorers which is an opt-in beta group that you can opt-out of :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Honestly I don’t get what Replit engineers were thinking here. Surely, they knew what happened to Egress would happen to Storage? Couldn’t they have waited until they could add the ability to buy storage without buying a plan?

4 Likes