Python: Problem with new template

Problem description:

After transferring an old Python repl to the new template (cloning from Github repository into a new repl) I’m running into a somewhat old problem again: When I hit the Run button poetry starts to install a package gardenlinux:

After the successful installation nothing happens: The program doesn’t run and the the Run button stays activated, ie. it’s actually a Stop button. There’s also a huge CPU utilisation. Running the file from the shell works fine.

As with the old problem, the strange thing is that the repl is a pure Python repl, so no installation of packages is needed. And I don’t even know what gardenlinux does.

Unfortunately, the old solution doesn’t work. :frowning_face:

Expected behavior:

Hitting Run just runs the selected file ( No installation of the gardenlinux package.

Actual behavior:

See above.

Steps to reproduce:

I don’t know how to replicate except trying to run the repl in question.

Bug appears at this link:

Browser: Safari
Device (Android, iOS, n/a leave blank): MacBook Pro
Plan (Free, Hacker, Pro Plan): Teams Pro

If you don’t need the auto-package guessing/importing, you can do this:

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I don’t want to sound ungrateful, but isn’t there another way to do that through a configuration change? The last time an adjustment of the .replit file did the job …

Hi @Timsbim !
Yes, you can use the .replit file.
Go to guessImports=True and set it to False.
Hope this helps!

that not working is the literal reason why this topic exists

Older bug report about same issue:


I think there’s supposed to be, but it seems to be broken currently. So we have this workaround instead.

1 Like

@NateDhaliwal That doesn’t work. The new .replit file doesn’t have a packager section. And even if I put it in and add guessImports = false to the subsection packager.features it has no effect. That worked well for the previous template, but not for the new one. That’s why I made the topic.

Hey all!

I was able to reproduce the issue and let the team know. I believe this is to do with our new Modules system that encapsulates configuration for languages such as Python onto our own infrastructure. This seems to prevent users from configuring the packager in the .replit file.

I will follow up once I have an update.


Hey all!

We have recently released a patch that allows these two fields to be applied to the .replit file:

# Stops the packager from installing packages when running the Repl
disableInstallBeforeRun = true

# Stops the packager from guessing and auto-installing packages, but it still runs to install packages when running the Repl
disableGuessImports = true

Doesnt work for me i added them to the .replit file

You need to put it near the top of the .replit file.
If you put it under a “section” (such as [nix] or [deployments]), it will not work.


This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.