New reaction ideas

I see. We should bring @MattDESTROYER in on this but for me even though I get notifications for reactions I don’t look at what it is so I want know to reply. It also wont tell us whats not clear about the post

5 Likes

I’ve been lurking in the shadows lol, imo of the ones that we currently have, idk about :hugs:, :rocket:, :upside_down_face: and :person_shrugging: I feel like aren’t very necessary, I can’t really think of a context where you would really use :hugs:, I don’t really get :rocket:, my understanding from what’s been said is that it’s sorta of like the :tada: or :heart:, but then that’s ambiguous and doesn’t really add anything since other reactions serve the same purpose, :person_shrugging: says “I don’t know”, but if you don’t know the answer to a post, you would probably just not reply, and :upside_down_face: kind of has no meaning, at least to me.

:tada: is definitely better than :confetti_ball: though, and :question: could be a quick way of asking for clarification and more information

6 Likes

yeah, I had to emojipedia it to understand. You use it for “irony or a sense of silliness”.
As a reaction, I guess the use is narrowed to conveying mild embarrassment at a post as opposed to :flushed:

5 Likes

I can kind of agree that some of the reactions may be a bit unnecessary, so I’ve created polls for all of our current reactions.

:+1:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:laughing:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:open_mouth:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:clap:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:hugs:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:person_shrugging:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:tada:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:upside_down_face:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:rocket:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters
:question:
  • Highly needed
  • Kind of needed
  • Not needed
0 voters

IMO, most have certain use cases but some may be too similar to each other. I’d also rather keep the original ones around because so many people are used to those.

Another thing I’d like to point out is that there is an odd amount of reactions now, which makes a gap. It would be ideal to fill up that gap or remove an unused reaction.

6 Likes

I would use it when you reply to a topic and someone replies to you, telling you for example “why didn’t OP do this?” and you could just use :person_shrugging:

I’m honestly not a fan of it

7 Likes

I can see how :question: could possibly be an issue. While it does let users know there is a need for more info, I feel like it could come off as a bit rude. It isn’t really a direct way of achieving its goal though when compared to Canned Replies and stuff, its more of an “Oh there’s a question mark reaction on my post maybe it’s not clear enough” kind of thing, which I bet most users won’t even recognize.

If a user were to reply to the reaction, it’s unclear what the user that replied with the reaction was confused about. It also makes it harder for readers trying to understand the context of the post, and I bet they wouldn’t be paying close attention to reactions. Example of how this could play out:

A user reacts with :question:

If a user were not to see the :question: reaction they would be confused as to why there was a duplicate post just worded in a different way.

The only way I could see this being used is a “flag” to moderators that a user didn’t provide enough information, where they could PM or reply to the user asking for clarification, but why did the user that was confused not reply with that in the first place?

In conclusion, :question: doesn’t really fulfill its purpose well enough, but maybe it has some other use? I don’t really know. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I think we should remove :hugs:
We should remove :clap: because :tada: has the same meaning
And we should replace :question: with :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
And we should add :person_facepalming: (we can use it when someone gets confused)

Remove :clap:
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Replace :question: with :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Add :person_facepalming:
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
2 Likes

Maybe it could be used on a post that was made by someone who knows reactions exist and maybe they shouldn’t be used in help topics.

1 Like

They do not have the same meaning. :tada: is like:

Oh it’s your birthday? Happy birthday! Well you didn’t actually do anything to make it your birthday, it just so happened that you were born on this day. So instead of :clap: I’ll react with :tada:

And :clap: is like:

DUDE THIS APP IS SO COOL!!! You’re such a good programmer! I applaud your work! :clap:

Ethan said earlier in the thread this could be negative. We decided that :thinking: was better. So maybe replace :question: with :thinking:? Although that doesn’t fix the problem with :question:

No way. It could be rude. The only time I’d face palm is usually at myself, which you can’t do with reactions.

9 Likes

Exactly what I’m saying! I guess it could work if it was rhetorical (e.g. to convey “I don’t know”) but still

3 Likes

In that case,

Should we remove :question:?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Should we remove :person_shrugging:?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Those two are very similar and we really only need one or the other if we still want to keep a reaction like that around.

I decided to throw this one in there too cause I thought there was some discussion about that

Should we remove :hugs:?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

We need something to convey confusion. :person_shrugging: fits the bill. A question mark is less applicable to this situation in my opinion. When you see a post with no replies and cannot answer the question, a reaction is a good way to let OP know that at least someone saw their post. I think that :person_shrugging: is a good reaction for that situation and would use it for such on a regular basis. As for :hugs:, you can obliterate it for all I care.

6 Likes

It feels like this reaction is only to be used on posts regarding missiles

2 Likes

Well, it kinda resembles 50-50 or half half, not IDK (with http help)

2 Likes

:hugs: are no more (sorry @JayAySeaOhBee14 ) for the time being.

Thanks for all the discussion around reactions. I agree it is important for them to convey meaning correctly and that some of the new introductions may now overlap. Happy to keep tidying this feature though! Keep the discussion going and thank you again!

6 Likes

So what happens with reactions that have been removed or changed? Does it deselect the user’s reaction, replace it with the spot that it got replaced with (if you know what I mean), or does it just change to a heart?

6 Likes

As far as I can see it stays as it is:

I think what happens behind the scenes is that the reaction is just no longer available to be selected. It still exists as an option which can be added back at any time.

8 Likes

Can we add or replace one with :thinking:? Someone said something that I didn’t know and I wanted it to be like “hmm”.

2 Likes

That’s what :question: is for, at least so far.

3 Likes

omg I didn’t even know discourse added new reactions

1 Like