Introducing Data Transfer Limits on Replit: What You Need to Know

Sorry yes the img tag. On a phone lol.

Hey Coder Elijah! Inbound data transfer is still unlimited and your understanding here is correct

6 Likes

Hey Steve4Space! I wanted to provide some more context. Here are two examples of how you could buy more Data Transfer and whether it would roll over or not.

• You purchase the Hacker plan. This results in your Data Transfer monthly limit now increasing from 10 GiB to 50 GiB. Any unused Data Transfer does not roll over to the next month.
  • You do a one-time purchase for 1000 GiB of Data Transfer. This purchase does not permanently increase your monthly limit, but any unused Data Transfer will continue to roll over for 180 days.
4 Likes

One this that is not clear is, why is there egress when all i am doing is to program repls that execute only in their environment and exchange no data with the external world? Are you also counting the terminal interactions or even my typing code?
Or maybe even when syncing with githhub?

2 Likes

My egress usage doesn’t add up. The UI says I’ve used 7gb, but the total of every repl’s usage is under 3gb.

I want to know why my egress goes up (admittedly little) when I am nit doing any coding that interacts in output and they are even private …

I’m glad that replit has finally made their first good policy change this year.

1 Like

If people use your repls and you send a response, it counts against your egress. If a repl of yours gets attacked, start closing TCP connections for abusive IPs rather than sending a response (if you don’t send anything, your repls might be slower if they’re attacked, but attackers shouldn’t be able to increase your egress usage)

They are private … I mean private. So how do they interact with them. It they can, than there is a system issue here

Ahh so the amounts have been moved up, honestly, I don’t think 1GiB was reasonable, but this actually seems pretty fair, maybe even a little generous :slight_smile:

9 Likes

WAIT. WE CAN BUY MORE EGRESS WITH CYCLES? also, thanks for increasing free-tier to 10gb :slight_smile:

7 Likes

For extra context, Replit uses GCP that has the pricing:

$0.08/GiB standard egress
$0.12/GiB premium egress
Unlimited ingress

I assume replit uses standard egress, as premium is faster but costs more.

Free users get $1 free of it a month, hacker $5 and pro $10 (extremely generous)

And if you still can’t understand what this all means, here’s an analogy:
Your Repl is a post office. When you receive a letter, it’s free for your Repl.

The letters your Repls receive might be to get a website, image, or other media, or even just a move in a game. Your Repl processes the letter and generates a response, being the website, image, you know the deal.

But then, your Repl needs to package up the response, add a shipping label, and send it off often across the world! If you were to do this with a USB stick, a website could cost hundreds of dollars to load! :exploding_head:

But luckily, the internet is fast and cheap, so it doesn’t cost much. Most of the time, every character of data your Repl sends out is a byte.

1024 bytes = Kilobyte
1024 kilobytes = Megabyte
1024 megabytes = Gigabyte
(Technically, they aren’t Gigabytes rather Gibibytes, a bit more than a Gigabyte)

So, when your Repl sends out a response as a ton of characters, being website, image, video, or any other type of data, the packaging and sending of that info is counted and needs to be paid for.

If someone starts mailing you a ton of letters asking for big amounts of data that you can’t pay for, you can close the TCP connection, that’s simply burning the letter in the fireplace. :blush:

7 Likes

Than why do i see egress when all i do is local code and no data sent out beyond the console?

If I understand correctly (which I may not), even console-only programs such as Python (barring Flask etc.) send data from Replit’s servers to your console (thus egress) because Python doesn’t run natively on the internet so Replit must run it locally and host the result. Even if that’s not entirely accurate, Replit is still processing your program and sending (egress) the result back to you. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Man that is quite something. I wonder how bad is then agress via SSH

2 Likes

SSH itself doesn’t use that much egress. Running yes over SSH might, though

1 Like

YES thank you! The $0.10 sounds too good to be true but hey, progress

We can also safely presume that most users won’t use the full amount of egress available to them.
Then we also need to consider server costs on Replit’s side. They host lots of projects for quite generous amounts of server resources.
(Me and @9pfs1 would be the exceptions LOL)

2 Likes

Most people don’t run things like IRC servers that naturally stay on 24/7

3 Likes

I suggest a test of sorts, on the TOS, because people usually don’t read the TOS even though they agree. If you pass this “test” you will be “licensed” and you will have no egress limit, but if you break the TOS while being licensed, the punishment will be more severe then just taking down the repl.

6 Likes