Introducing Data Transfer Limits on Replit: What You Need to Know

wait I didn’t read ToS

4 Likes

This wouldn’t stop abuse, and giving away free egress is expensive. Like, really expensive. One of my apps cost replit approximately $16,000 before it was removed.

People could also just spam more accounts anyway, and they don’t have tons of moderators.

7 Likes

I agree. While I understand the discussion about egress, in the end it is important to realise it costs and at a certain point of something is deployed that needs a lot of egress it needs to generate means for sustaining itself (economically)

3 Likes

About a user in Teams Pro, what is the Egress limit ?
it is not shown on the pricing website.
Thanks

1 Like

@CoderElijah

The dictionary defines it as the action of going out of or leaving a place fyi (I didn’t know till I looked it up too)

There are a few definitions, yet no one knows either I believe.

2 Likes

I created a proxy for an API with the permission from the API owner. Is that fine? It doesn’t involve evading internet censorship.

Can someone tell me how these work and how I can implement them on an express.js server?

1 Like

I just had a thought about pingers, would Replit care if I used my computer (not a Repl) to ping a Repl to keep it alive?

4 Likes

I doubt they’d care (maybe just set up cron jobs)

2 Likes

I do not think so. They don’t seem to care for Repls that are pingers soo…

What exactly is a pinger and a websocket anyway?

A pinger is anything that pings a URL so as to keep the Repl alive. IDK about other OSes but on Linux OSes, there is a terminal command called ping. You just type ping google.com and it starts transmitting and receiving 64 byte packets of data with google.com. This allows you to check your internet connection on a command-line only computer. However, it also requires that the site be up, so it will wake up your Repl. Thus, several pingers have been created (most notably gdaybot, though now stopped due to egress) so as to keep a Repl always on for free. Also I should add that Replit runs on Linux.

1 Like

Thanks! What about a websocket?

2 Likes

This also exists on Windows. I have one running on boot on my laptop so I can monitor our very poor internet.

2 Likes

ICMP traffic can’t start repls

Pingers grew popular somehow. Regardless, visiting a Repl’s website will wake it up. You have to do that to wake my bot lol.

I personally can’t pay for much things on the internet, given that my Dad hates paying for anything involving a subscription. Lots of others might share the same concern? Idk

1 Like

Try getting a https://ircnow.org/ shell account (that’s free, and you can do a lot with it)

1 Like

WebSockets allow you to communicate between a server and a client in real-time, generally online multiplayer type stuff will be using WebSockets. Here’s a template I made a while ago for WebSockets, it shows how you can make a simple multiplayer game using them. You might also have heard of Socket.IO, this is a library built on top of WebSockets.

3 Likes

What app :0
That’s. Huge!

3 Likes