Dealing with New Storage Limits for Free Tier

Hello All,

I am an instructor at a coding bootcamp, and I’ve been using my personal repl.it account to help teach my classes for more than a year. Repl.it has been incredibly useful in giving students coding demonstrations, small one-off lessons, and warm-ups. The ability to easily share and collaborate in a coding environment where the output is right next to the code has been invaluable, and the hundreds of student who I’ve introduced repl.it to agree.

Unfortunately I have just received the notification that I am WELL above my free storage limits, at 18gb. Although I teach, I only ever used my personal repl.it account.

Can anyone provide guidance on my options?

2 Likes

Hi @AdamOwada thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

There was a topic about options regarding storage limits here: Resolving issues with Explorer account storage limits - I hope that this is helpful to you.

You will likely have to remove some of your old Repl projects or forks but the My Repls page does show you the Repls which take up the most space which might help reduce the overall storage on your account more quickly.

2 Likes

Hi @IanAtCSTeach, thank you very much for your quick response! I will look into it further.

1 Like

I’d like to piggy back this post -

I’ve just come back from summer break to find that my account is over the limit as well. When analyzing the largest files, they do not seem all that large. Usually 1-4 python scripts of highschool-level code.

I have found, however, that there’s a common thread - a venv directory. I have not created this virtual environment directory, but I am slowly marching through my projects deleting several of these. Needless to say it’s a bit tedious. Is there any reason all of this large folders showed up in several of my projects? It’s eating up my storage space.

Here’s an example, 49 MiB for this unnamed project: https://replit.com/@stefanfritz/GleefulBogusRadius

The venv folder contains a bunch of course stuff required for your Python projects to run. Deleting it will likely break the projects you remove it from.

3 Likes