Concerns about Storage Limitations in the Replit Hacker Plan

Hey Replit Community,

I wanted to bring up something important about the recent update in the Replit Hacker plan. It caught my attention that a storage limit has been introduced, which affects users like me who have a bunch of repls and storage needs that exceed the imposed limit.

As an active member of the Replit community, I currently have over 1000 repls occupying around 150 GB of storage. Sadly, the new limit is set at a mere 20 GB, and this has got me concerned about potential data loss and the risk of losing all my repls.

I get it, Replit needs to make updates to keep things stable and scalable. But hey, I’m reaching out to you all for some guidance and advice on possible workarounds. I want to find a way to navigate this situation without bidding farewell to any of my precious repls.

I know I’m not alone in this boat. I’m sure there are other folks out there facing similar challenges with storage requirements surpassing the newly imposed limit. So, if you’re in the same boat, let’s join forces and share any insights or suggestions we’ve discovered along the way.

One of the things I love about Replit is the collaborative and supportive environment it fosters. I genuinely believe that together, we can come up with a solution that meets our needs while taking into account the platform’s operational requirements.

Thanks a bunch for your attention, and I’m really looking forward to hearing from my fellow Replit users and even the Replit team itself. Any suggestions or information you can provide to help us navigate this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Take care, and let’s find a way to keep our repls intact!

19 Likes

You can move your repl files to your computer.

5 Likes

True, that is possible. But I’d like my repls to be editable on Replit.

7 Likes

What was the old storage limit? It seems like a massive decrease.

4 Likes

iirc it was infinite

4 Likes

For some reason I have 50 gigs allocated to me, even though I’m a free user, which is cool I guess. I’ve already used 4 times as much storage than what the free plan allocates as of now.

5 Likes

Cool! I literally can’t edit any repl at all, and AnirudhGPT is literally dying because of 0mb disk space

5 Likes

You probably have 50 because you used to have the Pro plan. That’s what happened to me with egress, it stayed with the higher limits until the end of the month.

6 Likes

Ah ok , I understand now! Thanks!

5 Likes

Am I able to view my storage usage on the free tier? I assume it’s replit.com/account but I have been unable to find anything other than outbound data transfer (egress).

5 Likes

Should be right under that:

3 Likes

Nope. Perhaps it rolls out gradually like the new UI did.

4 Likes

enable Explorer then refresh the page

3 Likes

I am an explorer, and I don’t see the storage usage UI either.

3 Likes

That was a good idea but it didn’t work.

3 Likes

Playing around in my account, I found https://replit.com/cycles, which also lists egress but not storage. I guess I’m lucky and my account won’t crash for exceeding the storage limit just yet.

3 Likes

So. The storage limit is no longer a soft limit. It’s rolling out, and it’s yet another crisis about to happen, yet again.

First, some context for those who don’t know,
A little while ago egress became a hard limit, other changes happened, and a community crisis may have been avoided with the power of our feedback. This time Account Storage is becoming a hard limit. A hard limit is a limit enforced by Replit which means you cannot exceed the limit.
Here is the storage per account allocated for each plan:
Free: 0.5 GiB
Hacker: 5 GiB
Pro: 10 GiB

This is an issue. Neither Free, Hacker, or Pro have enough storage for everyone on their respective plans.

I think the 0.5 GiB on the free plan is mainly meant for educational users and/or python kids. That might be the target demographic for the Free plan but it’s not everybody on the free plan. I’m on the free plan, and I’m a massive Replit power user. I almost exclusively use Replit for hosting and general developent. I can’t afford Hacker or Pro, and I’m using 4 TIMES the allocated amount of storage for my account. (2 GiB) I get that the target demographic for the free plan may be for people experimenting, educational users or whatnot; but it’s going to hurt the other free users if Replit focuses on that only.

And people with Hacker plan have it a little better. Now you have at least a slightly reasonable amount of space to work with, because now you can at least fit a lot more reasonably sized projects into it. But it’s not enough for quite a bit of users. Take Anirudth, for example: (quoting from his Ask post)

As an active member of the Replit community, I currently have over 1000 repls occupying around 150 GB of storage. Sadly, the new limit is set at a mere 20 GB, and this has got me concerned about potential data loss and the risk of losing all my repls.
I get it, Replit needs to make updates to keep things stable and scalable. But hey, I’m reaching out to you all for some guidance and advice on possible workarounds. I want to find a way to navigate this situation without bidding farewell to any of my precious repls.
link to original ask post

Active members of the Replit community, who even pay, risk losing their repls to this update. I don’t think anyone wants to see anyone lose potentially months of progress to an update. People with pro might be able to get away with the 10 GiB but even that might not be enough. My coding folder on my computer has way fewer projects than my Replit account, but still takes up around 5 gigabytes. Now apply that to 80-100 repls on a free, or even Pro account.

If I got anything wrong, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! And I will edit this post.

8 Likes

i did actually tweet about this too https://twitter.com/bddylol/status/1674877390789439495

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure Free plan has 10GiB of storage… But I do agree.
The storage limits are set too low.

4 Likes

Please Read

Please share your feedback but please do it kindly even if you don’t like the changes and remember the other Community Standards.

5 Likes