Changes to Hosting on Replit!

so should i buy cycles with my mum’s credit card and then use the deploy or do i just buy the deploy? like is it charged hourly or like per week or what?

3 Likes

No need to put an extra step in there. Of course, cycles are more versatile than directly buying a deployment. It depends on your situation.

4 Likes

Hacker & Pro both come with autoscale & static deployments!

8 Likes

It charges 20-660 cycles per day for Autoscale

It still charges for both with my free Hacker, though? Was this not supposed to happen? Can I get my 60 cycles back?

7 Likes

This is a good idea, I don’t understand why people dislike it so much

6 Likes

Previously Replit had announced a commitment to enabling free users to continue hosting websites and keeping them up with pinging services. Has this been deprecated entirely? With the changes to the repl.co domains, it seems like free users are completely out of options to ship even a hobby app. It’s a bit disappointing that you can’t even have a repl.co domain which goes to sleep—hosting feels very all-or-nothing now. Previously Replit was my #1 recommendation for anyone who wanted to try building a web app but this change eats away at that.

20 Likes

Change is hard in many ways, including emotionally and financially, but life will go on in the end.

8 Likes

Does the static work with the j a m stack?

4 Likes

Wow! I’m really excited that I get to use my cycles for paid plans now! You are clearly very hard-working people with the needs and desires of the community in mind. I am so glad to be a part of this community! :blush:

7 Likes

I remember that deployments used to not support persistent filesystems, did that change? Being able to keep state even after reboots is important for lots of projects. So is saving egress, so storing data on a remote server isn’t an option.

4 Likes

i want to make a paperless-ngx instance so i can store my documents, will that work with deployments? my mum’s credit card fails so i can’t make it private now

5 Likes

Deployments still do not have persistent filesystems.

11 Likes

Hey Lucas, I understand where you’re coming from.

As a reminder, autoscale deployments will end up costing less than 20 cents per month for most sites, and static is free if you’re within your egress limit.

7 Likes

Since most firewalled replit users have no money or are using Replit at school, is it safe to say that firewalled replit is obsolete?

8 Likes

Not yet. We’re working on a solution here! No promises but this is top of mind for our team.

5 Likes

Awesome. Glad to hear.

6 Likes

That’s a lot more expensive than what Replit has promised its users over the years, but we understand that times change and things end up different. It’ll be nice to see replit adapt and grow over the next few months.

6 Likes

Autoscale & static deployments do not use Cycles. Only Reserved VMs are cycles based as of now. If you shoot me an email (soren@replit.com) we can take a closer look.

9 Likes

Do we have to pay for more if we run out of egress? Also, since custom 404 pages can’t work on static sites, are custom 404 pages now a premium service?

8 Likes

I think they come free! How nice of Replit isn’t it? :slight_smile:

4 Likes