Changes to Hosting on Replit!

No, they are not free.

I know you know that, but it’s wrong so I am making this post.

9 Likes

That is, if I have a repl with the site, then someone will be able to access it using such a link https://my-site.username.repl.co / only if I’m in the editor?

4 Likes

No, only in the editor you’ll get https://repl-id-00-.repl-cluster.replit.dev

6 Likes

If I quit the editor, then no one will be able to access the site using such a link?
I’m sorry that I didn’t understand you very well.

8 Likes

Hi Soren. I have been on the Hacker plan for years. Loved Replit and what you guys are building. It’s been a great service. I understand that products get deprecated but ONLY 3 months notice is a bit rough. I’ve spent 6 months building a product that uses persistent storage on Replit. I went down this road after you guys started offering Storage add-ons. My understanding is that data cannot be persisted on the Autoscale deployments. Is that correct? If it is, it means I will need to re-write my just launched app. regards Michael

12 Likes

Yes, that is correct.

Yes, but I think the team is looking into this.

6 Likes

Sadly. The ability to launch my website for free was the main thing that forced me to use Replit. But with the beginning of the new year, this opportunity will disappear. despite the fact that the deployment is not very expensive, I still have no way to pay for them. Therefore, I will have to look for other services for free hosting of my small website.

I will still use Replit, for the sake of getting at least a few cycles from the tip.

15 Likes

So will pingers stop working?

11 Likes

So what this is saying is that underage people will be required to grab their moms credit card, and that you need money to make money (cycles)?

16 Likes

So for my website Repls such as my personal one, I would have to use deployments for people to access it? What if I don’t have the money would that mean nobody would be able to access my website Repls? I have a thing I do at school that would prevent us from doing this since we use Replit to make our website for the competition and the judges see it and judge it. I also don’t plan on getting Hacker or Pro any time soon as I don’t have the money to be able to do it. So does this also mean I would have to stick to doing Python and other languages rather than HTML and CSS, the main thing I like about HTML and CSS is the websites I can make with them and I like to share them with others.

16 Likes

I honestly don’t like this change and others probably agree, as it will prevent many people from being able to share the websites with other people.

21 Likes

Is anything done to make sure it is actually that user filling out the form and not somebody trying to spend another cycles? And how should be people signify they want a year but are taking advantage of the annual discount?

13 Likes

I KNEW IT! I saw the post a few months ago, talking about possibly transitioning fully to deployments, so I knew it was gonna happen at some point. I’m perfectly on board with deployments being the main way of hosting things on Replit, but others think otherwise. I already saw that there are people, top replers even, that are going to leave. I don’t want this to happen. I think it would be nice if there was a few ways you could deploy statically for free, or otherwise people are going to change their deployment area to areas like GitHub Pages. You won’t get a ton off attention for changing this. Keep in mind I personally am on board, but everyone else… not really. Even if it does happen, and people are disappointed and quit, Long Live Replit. I don’t want to see it go.

9 Likes

You can deploy statically for free. You will just have to stay under the outbound data transfer limit (10 GiBs)

9 Likes

I don’t see a button here responsible for creating a deployment for free.

7 Likes

we will confirm with the email that is owned by the account

8 Likes

for static, your credit card will only be billed if you go over your 10 GiB outbound data transfer limit. but if you want, you can set a spending limit in your account settings

7 Likes

I tried setting a spending limit of $0 but it says it needs to be a min of $10 unless I’m clicking the wrong thing.

10 Likes

I don’t have the option to use this since I don’t have a card that I could use. Because if I use my parent’s card, there is a possibility that money will be debited from it.

11 Likes

static deployments are free up to a 10 GiB outbound data transfer limit, and autoscale will be < 20 cents for most users.

6 Likes