Bigger crackdown on proxies?

Found this in my news feed. What does this mean for proxies and stuff like that on replit?

2 Likes

What? How can you jail someone for using a VPN? Especially for 20 years?

4 Likes

I swear the new act is such bull bro. If they don’t like what you do, or who you talk to online, they can just jail you for 20 years with the snap of their fingers. They can even seize ALL of your possessions! It completely goes against American values and the First Amendment!

5 Likes

From skimming an article thats only for if a US citizen using a VPN to access something that’s banned. Need to do more reading about this though when I have more time

8 Likes

I wonder how far things would have to go before the U.S. would have a revolution

2 Likes

Maybe that’s a scam or something. I hope it is.

2 Likes

I can assure you that it isn’t, it is an actual act the congress is trying to pass.

3 Likes

Is politics allowed to be discussed within reason? @not-ethan

3 Likes

We should probably move it to a PM though.

Can we move it to a matrix room?

1 Like

We should probably show the replit team the article

Employees have probably already seen this.

The link is VPN Users Could Face Decades in Jail Under New RESTRICT Act

In this case yes since it relates to Replit. But make sure to keep discussion around the ban its self and not the politics surrounding it.

1 Like

Should the discussion be on something other than the forum?

If you (the community) wants yes. But as it is now it is on topics and stuff and it can stay here.

Ading slow mode here just incase

3 Likes

I had google bard run through the article it told me
The RESTRICT Act does not specifically mention proxies, but it does give the Department of Commerce broad authority to review and prohibit certain transactions between persons in the United States and foreign adversaries. This could potentially include transactions involving proxies, as proxies can be used to obscure the identity of a person or entity engaging in a transaction.

The RESTRICT Act also includes a provision that makes it a crime to knowingly provide false information to the Department of Commerce in connection with a review or prohibition under the Act. This could potentially make it a crime to use a proxy to conceal the true identity of a person or entity engaging in a transaction.

However, it is important to note that the RESTRICT Act is still in its early stages of development, and it is unclear how it will be implemented in practice. It is also unclear how the Department of Commerce will define “proxy” or “foreign adversary” in the context of the Act.

If you are concerned about the potential impact of the RESTRICT Act on your use of proxies, you should consult with an attorney.

3 Likes

He just said only about the ban not politics…

1 Like

It left out a lot in that, “run through” XD.

1 Like

The reason some people use VPNs is to protect themselves online! So you’ve gotta choose… IP Leaking or Twenty-Year jail time. I’m so lucky I ain’t in the US… so I can keep farming Microsoft Rewards

4 Likes