What things do professional programmers do?

• Professional programmers use dark mode to keep their brain clear, and because the light mode color scheme is ineffective, or they want to prove that dark mode increases their productivity significantly, which makes them ship a lot more in a shorter space of time.
  • Professional programmers use light mode because the dark mode color scheme is ineffective, or they want to prove that light mode increases their productivity significantly, which makes them ship a lot more in a shorter space of time.
  • They use whatever theme they want.

0 voters

• The professionals use syntax highlighting because it makes it easier for them to understand, while looking a lot more complex to people who don’t program.
  • The professionals don’t use syntax highlighting to prove that they are better than most and don’t need colors to understand code.

0 voters

• The professionals use autonomous agents, assistive AI, and/or Google to 10x their workflow and gain better understandings of pieces of code they see on the internet.
  • The professionals don’t use autonomous agents, assistive AI, or Google to prove that they are way better than other programmers and learned everything they now know by themselves.

0 voters

• The professionals interact and publish their projects to the community to show that they have programming expertise and are social with others.
  • The professionals do not interact and publish their projects to the community to hide mistakes they make and their unique styles of coding and lack of documentation.

0 voters

• The professionals purchase paid plans on platforms that help them do programming to get more power and show that they always have spare money to throw around.
  • The professionals do not purchase paid plans on platforms that help them do programming to save money and show all they need is a minimal amount of power to run their projects.

0 voters

4 Likes

Go ahead, whip out that wallet and show the world what you’re made of! :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes
  1. That’s a lot of reading
  2. I use whatever theme I want (maybe that’s why I’m not a professional programmer)

I personally use dark themes a lot but I do check out the light theme. 70% of the time, I use a dark theme, but for the rest, I use a light theme. Glitch is a good example; it has good light theme colors.

3 Likes

Btw professionals do not share … because they are not allowed. We only share toy code or personal projects … of course this excludes people working on open source or alike projects.

5 Likes

I hate assistive AI. People rely too much on it, and when it’s taken away they can’t code a single thing.

4 Likes

I cannot agree more. I use it more to look up command references than real code

3 Likes

Bright light (light mode) can hurt the eye and switching to dark mode actually help you code. That’s not a joke it’s real :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I like assistive AI :slight_smile: and I can tell you with confidence that I can still code when it’s taken away. Why? Because it was taken away (my school banned Perplexity, my favorite website because you can ask for documentation, tell it to read a link (that’s why perplexity knows Replit better)), and it cites it’s sources so you can check out whatever you’re doing further) yet I can still code.

If you need a quick solution like “how do I delete all files using shell?” it’ll just tell you, versus having to search on Bing (or for a few of you, Google) and go through all these nonsense websites and having to check StackOverflow.

Don’t understand a particular thing you’re learning? Ask your preferred AI assistant. Some may say that people can just search that up and find a helpful video on YouTube. There is one advantage to using AI: follow-up questions. That helps you learn better.

Some tutorials may not be accustomed to your situation. An AI understands your situation and can accommodate it. It can make a tutorial on how to install Python without getting administrator access (on Windows, and I’m assuming it’s possible), or something else like that.

There are some people who will use it to generate code but not TO code. I almost never generated code (I am guilty of using it to generate code that will do stuff in Python. I could do it by hand, but a script would save me time, and Python seems to be the best at doing particular things but I don’t code in Python yet. For example, a Python script that’ll turn my list into JSON). If people get so reliant on AI that they don’t know how to code the programs once it’s gone, it’s not worth using AI. It should be an assistant; not an answer machine.

I wanted to add that Khan Academy’s new Khanmigo (based on the trailer to it) makes AI an assistant and not something that’ll just give answers to you. It’s cool how they got it to work so uansweristic. (I know that’s not a real word). So in the end, I agree with @OmegaOrbitals

5 Likes

And humans read black text on a white background faster than white text on a black background. :nerd_face: wait why am I defending light mode

I love light mode :smiley:

Very original, @MiloCat. I can’t say I’ve seen anyone who prefers soooo this is new. Any reason why you betrayed dark mode?

Idk i just like replit light theme
light theme sucks on vscode though

1 Like

Don’t professionals use closed-source text editors because it’s “industry standard” or some nonsense?

Which ones? Or are they private?

And how does a text editor matter? All text editors do is put some fancy fonts, throw in a few colors here and there, and maybe style the code. I would like to see how different someone can code with and without an industry standard text/code editor.

Some text editors basically let people use a WYSIWYG interface for web development, which makes everything pointless.

Closed-source editors? Not really. Large corporation force(d) people to use them (you mean MS and Intellij) just like force people to use Windows and Office. But this has changed as tons of professionals work as consultants and in smaller companies now. They tend use Ubuntu and Mac also. VSC, VIM, Neovim, Eclipse, … are very much in use.

Thank you for confirming that everyone I am aware of is not a minority.

1 Like

Isn’t dark mode bad for your eyes?

1 Like

That’s too big to understand, please explain lol.

WYSIWYG is WYSIWYG … something probably almost as old as me :slight_smile:

2 Likes