Webviews broken for group projects in Teams

Bug description:
I use repl.it teams for web (html/css/js) projects in a high school class. When I create group projects, the built in repl.it webview doesn’t work for students. It works in my original version of the project, but when students open their fork, their webviews don’t work. I’ve also noticed this happens even for non-group projects if I include certain characters in the name of the project (e.g. dashes).

Opening the webview in a new browser tab does work, however.

Expected vs Current Behavior:
Current behavior: webview is broken for html/css/js group projects
Expected behavior: the webview shows up

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create a new group project in a team, using the blank html/css/js template
  2. Publish the project
  3. Open the project as a student.
  4. Run it, notice the webview is broken.

Bug appears at this link:


Screenshot(s)/Screen Recording:

Browser/OS/Device: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/ Safari/537.36

Replit Profile: https://replit.com/@JoeDelfino

1 Like

This is due to the fact that the name of the repl is too long. Try to reduce it by 3 times.


Length of the project name is not the issue. I have a project name that has 15 characters and is behaving the same way.

Replit sometimes does not load webview for replays with a big name. Judging by the image, the repl that causes the crash has a name longer than 15 characters.

Have you tried shortening the repl name?

I tried shortening the replit name and encountered the same problem.

I have had my students try creating a new repl and the new repl behaved the same way. The code editor never opened. Nothing about the repl ever opened.

Hi - I wonder whether MattZurek is hitting a different issue - fresh repls created for individual students with short names work fine for me.

I’d like to refocus on my initial report, which is specific and reproducible.

The name of this repl is “Clock - Group”. This is not an unreasonably long name. The name ends up being very long in the screen shot I posted because this is created as a project within a team. When the students open their fork, their specific repl ends up with this longer name because of the way replit assigns names to individual student projects in this situation.

If you attempt to reproduce with the steps I provided you should see the same issue.