VSCode Extension for Viewing REPLs with Automated SSH Key Configuration

Feature Request:

I would like to request an extension for VSCode that is similar to CodeSandbox. The extension should have a dedicated tab that displays all of my REPLs, and when I click on a particular REPL, it should automatically create an SSH key and configure it on my machine before opening the REPL in VSCode. It would also be great if the extension could support other IDEs, making it more versatile and appealing to developers who are familiar with different IDEs.

Additionally, it would be helpful if there was a button on Replit like Open with VSCode that would prompt users to install the extension and open the REPL, making it more accessible to a wider range of users.

Explanation:

The need for this extension arose when I was trying to replace all instances of a particular text using Replit. However, there was no feature available for this, so I attempted to set up an SSH connection to my Replit environment through VSCode. This was a difficult and time-consuming process to set the ssh connection up to vscode. This experience led me to realize the need for an extension that could simplify the process of managing REPLs and automate the process of setting up an SSH key, ultimately making it easier for developers who are familiar with different IDEs to access their REPLs on their preffered IDE.

1 Like

What was so complicated about it? SSH on Replit is super simple. I agree an extension would be nice, but it is by no means necessary given how simple SSH is with repls. I assume you’re referring to the built-in SSH features (in beta) and not trying to setup an SSH server yourself?

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant: It was difficult to set the Ssh (Beta) connection up on vscode

2 Likes

What are you having trouble with? It’s quite simple.

2 Likes

I encountered some difficulties connecting to Replit through VSCode, as I had to configure additional settings such as hostname which were not clearly documented. I suggest improving the documentation for connecting to Replit through VSCode to make it easier for users. Additionally, it would be helpful if the SSH command for creating a key could be dynamically changed based on the user’s platform.

2 Likes

The need for this extension arose when I was trying to replace all instances of a particular text using Replit. However, there was no feature available for this, so I attempted to set up an SSH connection to my Replit environment through VSCode.

We’ll be adding global find and replace very soon. Thanks for the feedback on repl ssh!

3 Likes