Undo new Replit UI

No the sidebar is naturally hidden (which I hate). When using it though with the new UI it’s annoying and unbearable. I want a sidebar but I don’t want the messed-up version that comes with this new UI.

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks for the feedback. Can you be more specific about why you want the old UI back? What are the things you miss about it? We’ll keep iterating on this until we arrive at a solution that we’re all happy with.

One motivation for updating the cover page UI is because we want them to be better for consumption. Right now, cover page Repls only take up about 30% of the screen.

We’ve received a lot of reports from people that say that cover pages aren’t great for actually seeing what Repls do. We’re trying to address that.

6 Likes

Thanks for a response. I dislike the following:

• Massive display for the Repl (the console/webview thing)
  • Tiny comments area
  • No ability to scroll below the Repl to get to the comments
  • Because of these, comments are very hard to use
  • Due to the comments being made incredibly difficult to use, the appeal to them is lost. It also discourages me from interacting with bots (although staff probably likes that one).
  • I find it visually unappealing and highly unintuitive
  • The buttons for viewing the code, publishing update, and editing in workspace are small and not easily noticeable
  • The Replit navigation bar is default hidden and unhiding it does not persist from tab to tab or even across page refreshes
  • When viewing somebody’s code, it just seems weird
  • I think part of the problem is in having the display area take up the whole height of the page (except the top bar) and it has no padding
  • Due to the lack of padding and overall layout of the new UI, even with the navigation bar displayed it is unintuitive. It squishes the Repl viewer thing in a weird way.
  • The bottom corners of the Repl viewer are rounded but the rest are not
  • Overall there is like no whitespace leading to a cramped feeling
    EDIT
  • I just realized that you cannot view what template a Repl was made with under the new UI. This is horrible.

Everybody else, please tell me what I’m forgetting.

Oh and to solve that problem make the fullscreen button more noticeable. There was one in the old UI but I doubt many people ever paid attention because it was not too obvious.

10 Likes

i agree the new ui sucks

how do i vote now?

6 Likes

Use the bar thingy on the right side an scroll it all the way up, then click the “vote” button

6 Likes

cant replit make it where both is available as 2 options like dark theme and light theme

2 Likes

to vote, you scroll to the top of the webpage and click “vote” if you dont like the new UI
The new UI looks strange though

2 Likes

The new UI makes comments almost completely invisible, and is not responsive to the hamburger menu. The cover page takes up the whole screen (its quite ugly) while condensing and squishing all the extra contents onto the side. Its less enjoyable to read comments with this small setup and also has been the making of issues such as Fork number (number of forks a project has) and others not showing or being hard to find in the pat (due to condensing). It is obvious majority of Replit users do not agree with this change, please change it back. The OLD UI was amazing!

5 Likes

It appears that the Replit staff have made (https://replit.com/@CoderElijah/Undo-new-Replit-UI?v=1) go off trending.

2 Likes

Dang, they still cant ignore us though. 70 votes.

3 Likes

Yeah and Ian replied on here, they have seen it.

2 Likes

Where did Ian reply? I only saw a post from Soren.

2 Likes

I meant Soren* I am sorry my mind is going a million miles.

2 Likes

holy we’re almost at 75 votes- guys keep voting let’s get to 100

4 Likes

Hi Soren.
Here’s the thing old replits that are in python had certain layout. I’m making a game in python and I have to make it fit the new UI.
I think the new UI is bad. Instead of the repl itslef taking up 30% its now taking up to 70%. A lot more than it needs. I’m now more discouraged to comment on something. Also the new UI insn’t helping much… Somethings were bigger now smller. that means omroe use of the mangifyig app i have to use. i have bad eyesight. please rever tthe change or make it an opiton atleast

5 Likes
  • Massive display for the Repl (the console/webview thing)

Give it some time! You might actually find that you like the added real estate. People will be able to interact with your Repl as if it’s a real website.

• No ability to scroll below the Repl to get to the comments * Because of these, comments are very hard to use

Feedback taken! Will share this with the right people internally. Probably some adjustments we can make.

• The Replit navigation bar is default hidden and unhiding it does not persist from tab to tab or even across page refreshes

Which navigation bar are you referring to? The left sidebar?

• When viewing somebody’s code, it just seems weird

Can you explain this a bit more?

• The bottom corners of the Repl viewer are rounded but the rest are not

We can fix this.

• I just realized that you cannot view what template a Repl was made with under the new UI. This is horrible.

Should be an easy fix!

3 Likes

The cover page is not responsive to the hamburger sidebar. Which is by default on the new pages closed. (Opening it overlays the cover page)

The button is very small and a bit condensed into one space.

(I know these weren’t for me so these are my personal insights to your response)

4 Likes

I think they were referring to how these lines are wrapped

4 Likes

In that picture, I see a lot of gray and I personally think that the layout and color balance looks bad.

3 Likes

All to prepare the new fact that deployment will cost money

7 Likes