Suggestion: Fix the "trending" algorithm

My suggestion for the next update: Revamp and improve the trending algorithm.

Reasons: Very simple, at the time of writing this topic, several repls are effortlessly crowding the trending page just because they received a like. Once, I liked a simple calculator just to “encourage” a beginner dev, a few moments later I opened the “Hot” tab and saw that same program there. This somehow annoys the community, and a while ago I saw some replers protesting about it in repls (and ik that doesn’t help).

So here’s my suggestion. Thanks for reading :>

6 Likes

Yeah, this has been brought up in the past multiple times. It is extremely easy to get on the trending page, and a lot of people have complained. Since people who spend little to no time posting simple repls easily reach the top on the trending list, whereas those who spend hours or days barely get any attention when they post their repls.

4 Likes

They just got to have it that if the repl has > or = to 500 likes/views/comments or whatever. I have seen things with only 50 views and 1 or 2 likes get up there.

4 Likes

Replit should make a section for ‘Most Code’ & ‘Most Code in a {Set Amount Of Time}’.

6 Likes

Likes can easily be botted.

4 Likes

same with comments (and doesn’t need bots just a large userbase composed solely of chatty 8-year-olds) on “chat repls” (e.g. “Chat with me” repl that went trending a long time ago)

2 Likes

That could be easily beat by just having something going

print('hello')
print('hello')
print('hello')
print('hello')

over and over again just by copy+paste

You’re working too hard. Just enter yes "print('hello')" >> main.py in Shell (then use Ctrl + C to stop writing to the file when you get bored) or else write a real program to do it.

2 Likes