• Both/Depends/other

0 voters

4 Likes

Honestly I just use tabs because yes
and I am lazy to just go
press press
on the space bar even though its probably a more asmr typing kind of thing

4 Likes

Most editors can be configured to use spaces when you press the tab key. I think most do it by default.

4 Likes

I use tabs a lot, and when working with other people’s code that is indented using spaces I have the IDE insert spaces when I press tab. I like tabs more then spaces because unindenting and reindenting stuff on crappy editors is easier then with spaces. I can also find and replace tabs specifically.

3 Likes

Just don’t use crappy editors.

You can with spaces too. You can just find and replace 2/4 spaces (depending on which you use).

3 Likes

It’s just easier to use tabs, and if I need to use spaces I can just use tab to insert spaces.

just don’t use crappy editors

Are you trying to imply I should use something other than powerpoint as my IDE?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s easier. Most IDEs (the three out of four I’ve tried) use spaces by default so you’d have to go in your settings and change it.

Yeah, MS Paint is really good.

2 Likes

I can’t center align my code in ms paint tho…

1 Like

Sounds like a skill issue.

To keep this on topic, who actually prefers both???

1 Like

This says it all :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/SsoOG6ZeyUI

3 Likes

I’ve always preferred tabs, but most people seem to prefer spaces lol

3 Likes

I use both but set my ide’s to turns everything into spaces.

2 Likes

For Python at least, PEP8 prefers using spaces, as using tabs can cause issues. Plus, most editors are already configured using spaces anyway.

3 Likes

I voted other as I don’t care that much visual side how code is organized prettier (or other beatify code tools) do that stuff for me automatically. :smirk:

Only python programmers need to be careful with tabs. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Disagree, indentation is essential for proper readability. In any language,

3 Likes

Try to tell this to python compiler. It is only readability thing now run my code. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Which compiler. I use indentation in all sort of languages and that is ok.
If you talk about your own language or some other exoteric, than who cares … they are generally no meant to be readable anyhow …

4 Likes