Rate yourself at programming with results

I never said to pick your favorite (ok maybe I did, but I also said the one that you write the best code in). :laughing:

1 Like

best code ā€¦ if you ask different people i worked with the answer would vary and one of them would even say NONE as he claims i am crap at everything, and compared to him i think I agree. He is a monster.
Maybe we need a poll asking which language people claim you are best and worst at :thinking:

2 Likes

I said Iā€™m an expert intermediate programmer, but honestly, I donā€™t know what that even means. I donā€™t like to claim how good of a programmer I am. Instead, I prefer to show example code and let others decide. Ultimately, you are not an expert programmer until somebody is willing to pay you for it.

Hereā€™s what I can do:

• I understand almost all of the common features in the programming languages I use, as well as most of the less common ones.
  • I can understand and implement most of the common programming data structures, sorting algorithms, etc. in any programming language I use, but I may not be able to implement the most exotic algorithms and data structures. I also understand why you should use them in certain programming problems.
  • I understand and know most of the common design patterns in the programming languages I use, but my implementations of them may not be at a professional level yet. However, Iā€™m constantly learning and improving each day.
  • I understand the principles behind object-oriented programming and can use them to plan programs. However, I may not be fully proficient in using UML and other programming architectural designs at a professional level. Nevertheless, Iā€™m working towards improving my skills in that area.
  • I know how to debug code at least most common ways but Iā€™m not expert in all features of debugging and unit testing.

Why I donā€™t think Iā€™m professional programmer it is because I donā€™t think Iā€™m able to make program with tens of thousands lines of code and control it as full product and do it well without design hiccups and poor implementations. I can do it at some level but not professional level. Iā€™m still trying to figure out best ways to do it if there is even best way to do it maybe its just that you slowly get better but never perfect. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

To me you are as good as a programmer as a paid one ā€¦ maybe the only difference is a portfolio to show of deployed things. But that will come if that is your intention.

3 Likes

One area where I could improve is my platform understanding. Full-stack programming requires a broad range of knowledge, including an understanding of various frameworks, databases, and other platform-specific tools. While I have a solid theoretical foundation in programming, I could benefit from deepening my practical knowledge in these areas.

One reason why my theoretical programming skills are strong is my solid mathematical background, as well as my extensive study of C and C++ programming. Although I have since shifted my focus to web programming, the rigorous training I received in these foundational programming languages has provided me with a strong theoretical foundation that I continue to draw upon in my work.

Framework understanding is my weakest link but im working each day to improve. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Well, that is something that matter sonly if you plan to work with frameworks like web ones. And it is better to understand the basics and not the frameworks than the other way around (something i see more often).
I personally only care about non web programming and have little interest to learn frameworks. Mind that form me things like PyTorch, TensorFlow, PyGame, etc are modules and not frameworks. Therefore, my limited old mind does framework = web stuff :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is for HTML/CSS (yes I know itā€™s not a real language) in my case.

Programming knowledge: 17 (Iā€™d like to say Iā€™m pretty good :smiley: but donā€™t ask me for CSS animations.)

Programming beauty: ~15 (A lot of times, I donā€™t plan on the user actually checking the code. I code decently well in terms of formatting and stuff but sometimes I uglify or obfuscate.)

Programming use: bad BOY 20!!! (A lot of people in my school use my websites. I also found out that other schools in my school district use it and I have 0 contact with them but it spread to one of my friends in a different school and the fact he knew was just mind-blowing.)

Programming frequency: 1 (sorry lol but I usually donā€™t get too long to code.)

Of course it is lol. Itā€™s in the name. Hypertext Markup Language.

1 Like

Itā€™s a language, but is it a programming language?

1 Like

Itā€™s not a programming language, itā€™s a Markup Language.

5 Likes

I once created a website using vercel and had lots of people I know use it

2 Likes

Itā€™s down to 4.93 hours. While itā€™s less, thatā€™s a lot of time spent. What are we coding that takes up that much time?

2 Likes

This is a kind of old project lol.

5 hours, probably something to automate something else. I personally spend 1 hour or less per day, 2 hours on weekends.

5.26 now, apparently

progrmming knowledge: 13 i dont know why I put this i only have 2 solutions that are not even paithon relatedd
so i dont even know why I put 13 it should be 0.5

programming beauty: 10 it looks okay 50/50

programming use: 5 honestly nobody uses it i should put it at 1 but ogey

programming frequency: 14 hours thats why I respond fast and I code a lawt
but im still trash after 14 hours sometimes i maybe go around 8-10 because sleepy and tired and homework and everything else. :zzz: Okay i take it back maybe not 14 hours :rofl:

Me, I spend 1 - 2h/day programming, and on the weekends, < 15min.

1 Like