PyAudio@0.2.14 available to install under 'Packages' in Python, results in "Couldn't install package. See console for details ... "

Problem description

Is it safe to assume that if a package is available to install, it would be a bug if it doesn’t? :slight_smile: Because I don’t know system engineering or whatever it’s called, i worry about bothering you guys with something that’s not truly a bug - but I balanced that concern with the fact that you guys mentioned that if there’s really a bug you’d really like to know about it so you can fix it. Because I did the following before posting this, it SEEMS more likely than not to be a bug? But I am not sure. It should be easy for you guys to replicate though, so hopefully it won’t take you long to see what i am seeing. Thanks for your help!
Things I tried to get it to work:

• pip install pyaudio
  • asked Replit AI for help (followed all the suggestions, and we couldn’t get it to work)
  • asked ChatGPT4 for help (followed all the suggestions, and we couldn’t get it to work)
  • tried two different browsers, just to be sure:
    • Google Chrome Version 123.0.6312.124 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • Microsoft Edge Version 124.0.2478.51 (Official build) (64-bit)
  • wanted to try adding portaudio manually, but wasn’t sure how

Expected behavior

I would like to be able to install pyaudio (so I can use the speech recognition package to get user input from a microphone).
Here’s the link to a fresh page where I was able to replicate the problem after opening up a new Python repl: https://replit.com/@ErikaWang1/Test
Hopefully (or not hopefully??) you will be able to reproduce it?

Actual behavior

Here is what showed up in the console after the install didn’t complete (I tried pip wheel --use-pep517 "pyaudio (==0.2.14)", like it recommends at the end and got a whole other error message in the shell :o)

--> poetry add 'PyAudio ==0.2.14'

Updating dependencies
Resolving dependencies...

Package operations: 1 install, 0 updates, 0 removals

• Installing pyaudio (0.2.14)

ChefBuildError

Backend subprocess exited when trying to invoke build_wheel

running bdist_wheel
  running build
  running build_py
  creating build
  creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-cpython-310
  creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-cpython-310/pyaudio
  copying src/pyaudio/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-cpython-310/pyaudio
  running build_ext
  building 'pyaudio._portaudio' extension
  creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-cpython-310
  creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-cpython-310/src
  creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-cpython-310/src/pyaudio
  gcc -Wno-unused-result -Wsign-compare -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -I/nix/store/9109gq5pbiizq4jf8qcyrdxcc15chcr5-libxcrypt-4.4.36/include -fPIC -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/tmp/tmpuqiduncp/.venv/include -I/nix/store/1gc9wvzsy15pclrqfspii166p52lmh5i-python3-3.10.13/include/python3.10 -c src/pyaudio/device_api.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-cpython-310/src/pyaudio/device_api.o
  src/pyaudio/device_api.c:9:10: fatal error: portaudio.h: No such file or directory
      9 | #include "portaudio.h"
        |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
  compilation terminated.
  error: command '/nix/store/lpmc13klbgrfbc87ahf14rhv6y78chxz-replit-runtime-path/bin/gcc' failed with exit code 1

at /nix/store/kl8q9n461fq93wvsxi7lrm3if9diax6l-poetry-in-venv/env/lib/python3.10/site-packages/poetry/installation/chef.py:147 in _prepare
      143│ 
      144│                 error = ChefBuildError("\n\n".join(message_parts))
      145│ 
      146│             if error is not None:
    → 147│                 raise error from None
      148│ 
      149│             return path
      150│ 
      151│     def _prepare_sdist(self, archive: Path, destination: Path | None = None) -> Path:

Note: This error originates from the build backend, and is likely not a problem with poetry but with pyaudio (0.2.14) not supporting PEP 517 builds. You can verify this by running 'pip wheel --use-pep517 "pyaudio (==0.2.14)"'.

exit status 1

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new Python REPL
  2. Click on Packages
  3. Search for ‘pyaudio’
  4. Click ‘install’ for PyAudio@0.2.14 (Cross-platform audio I/O with PortAudio)

Browser

Chrome

OS

Windows 11 Home

Device if mobile

N/A

Plan

Core membership

Please upload screenshots

pyAudio.png

@ErikaWang1 Thank you for the detailed description and we received your private ticket as well. I agree it does seem like a bug. I’ll be communicating with you primarily through the ticket, but I’ll also update here once we identify workarounds or a resolution.

1 Like

@ErikaWang1 I was able to sync with the team. We have a fix upcoming for this issue, but in the meantime, can you execute the following command in the shell as a workaround?

nix-editor --add pkgs.portaudio

It should manually add the dependency to allow for PyAudio.

1 Like

Hi Suzy!

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you - i forgot my account is attached to a different email from my normal account! :woman_facepalming:t2:

Will give it a try, and let you know how it goes - thank you so much for all the help! :slightly_smiling_face::wave::crossed_fingers:

Cheers, Erika :tulip:

1 Like