Pressing tab to autocomplete instead insert my currently typed word into angle brackets

Bug description:
While typing, when an autocomplete suggestion appears, if I press tab, the word I am currently typing or just typed is added as an angle-bracketed tag. The autocomplete suggestion is not entered.

Chrome 121.0.6167.85

:wave: Welcome @grilzkody!

This is not a bug. This is a feature known as Emmet abbreviation.

No, but I think OP meant that TAB closes the tag, but doesn’t accept the autocomplete, which is the bug. The functions clash with the same key.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance but I’m not sure I follow. Do you guys have an example?

Off the top of my head I’d assume <span would trigger the AI to suggest stuff, while the editor just closes the tag.

Tried these and tab seems to work okay to accept the autosuggestion:

So basically, I think this is what the OP’s doing.

OP already has something like this written out:

<p>Hello

Now, the AI suggests more text, for example World</p>

So OP expects that pressing Tab would do this:

<p>Hello World</p>

But instead, Emmet abbreviation does this:

<p><Hello></Hello>

This is intended behavior. The fix would be adding a space before accepting the AI suggestion.

1 Like

That seems like really odd behavior to be default IMO.

2 Likes

Well, I use Emmet abbreviation a lot, and AI often suggests random stuff that has nothing to do with what I’m making. So, this is much more convenient for me (and others who use Emmet abbreviation).

1 Like

Ah, I got it. While the AI has a lot of room for improvement, this particular request might be down to personal preference so I wouldn’t really call it a bug. Maybe a feature request if you’d like to see different behavior.

1 Like