Pressing tab to autocomplete instead insert my currently typed word into angle brackets

Bug description:
While typing, when an autocomplete suggestion appears, if I press tab, the word I am currently typing or just typed is added as an angle-bracketed tag. The autocomplete suggestion is not entered.

Chrome 121.0.6167.85

:wave: Welcome @grilzkody!

This is not a bug. This is a feature known as Emmet abbreviation.

No, but I think OP meant that TAB closes the tag, but doesn’t accept the autocomplete, which is the bug. The functions clash with the same key.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance but I’m not sure I follow. Do you guys have an example?

Off the top of my head I’d assume <span would trigger the AI to suggest stuff, while the editor just closes the tag.

Tried these and tab seems to work okay to accept the autosuggestion:

So basically, I think this is what the OP’s doing.

OP already has something like this written out:

<p>Hello

Now, the AI suggests more text, for example World</p>

So OP expects that pressing Tab would do this:

<p>Hello World</p>

But instead, Emmet abbreviation does this:

<p><Hello></Hello>

This is intended behavior. The fix would be adding a space before accepting the AI suggestion.

1 Like

That seems like really odd behavior to be default IMO.

2 Likes

Well, I use Emmet abbreviation a lot, and AI often suggests random stuff that has nothing to do with what I’m making. So, this is much more convenient for me (and others who use Emmet abbreviation).

1 Like

Ah, I got it. While the AI has a lot of room for improvement, this particular request might be down to personal preference so I wouldn’t really call it a bug. Maybe a feature request if you’d like to see different behavior.

1 Like

I just ran into this problem. Maybe a good solution would be to have the AI give Emmet Abbreviations as suggestions? Then Tab would output the same regardless which program was making the suggestion. That or maybe reassign one of them to Shift+Tab or something.

Maybe you can change the keyboard shortcuts under Settings, in Keyboard Shortcuts?