Poll: How do you feel about Sora?

OpenAI has recently released Sora, an AI that takes text or an image and turns it into impressive AI generated video which can be creepily realistic. If you haven’t heard of it, you can find it here. How do you feel about it? You can explain your feelings in the comments.

• This is the best thing that has ever happened to computer science!!!
  • This is great!
  • This is good.
  • This is okay.
  • This is bad.
  • This is awful.
  • This will destroy human society as we know it.
0 voters
1 Like

Unblur this if you want to know my opinions…

I personally chose “This is awful.” This is because first of all the 2024 US election is coming up and we don’t need any more fake news. Second, both defendants and prosecutors could use Sora to create fake evidence. Also, the actors strike could start all over again, people could easily make videos extremely quickly. Animators would have an especially tough time. I really wish OpenAI thought more before releasing this.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, but it’s still a very cool breakthrough technology. Like the internet was also a breakthrough, allows for easier propaganda spreading, but it’s still way cool besides that. Plus, the AI president videos can be pretty funny imo

2 Likes

half of the paper airplanes in their intro video disappeared; I think that this tech is not good enough yet.

2 Likes

The risks outweigh the benefits heavily.

1. Evidence
    It’d be very easy to fake evidence for the law (or maybe not even the law), like PianoMan said. If there was, say, a hacker who the FBI caught, instead of planting [REDACTED] on his computer, they could just generate a video of him committing a crime to make sure he gets in jail.

2. Products
    You could simply use Sora to fake your product’s features. Nothing more to say about that…

3. [REDACTED]
    We all know that deep fakes are becoming a problem. Celebrities’ faces are being put on [REDACTED], and sometimes even children. This is very messed-up, and I can’t imagine what horrors people will create with this technology.

4. Health risks
    People have been using AI chatbots for companions. They stop interacting with real people, and this causes a lot of problems like depression. With video generation, this will be even worse.

Also, yes, I know. There will be restrictions. But every security system has a flaw, and people will find that.

I can’t deny that this is amazing technology. But humans aren’t ready for this. With every technological advancement, it pushes us back. It downgrades our humanity.

Is this worth it? For some videos and text, is this really worth it?

7 Likes

I’ve always thought about this for years now. As soon as deepfakes became a thing it always got me thinking, why couldn’t you just make a fake video of someone admitting to a crime or something?

2 Likes