Make a replit lite version for education

Describe your feature request
Replit has developed over the years since I started using it when it was new. Many features have been added that aid the experienced programmer, however, for the education of younger children it has become too bloated for their use. I would like to suggest that there is a replit lite for education, which strips out all the complexity that has been added since its inception. We are finding that replit is slower on some machines, and does not run on some Chromebooks.

What problem(s) would this feature solve?
The visual complexity should be reduced to the simplest requirements for introducing code to children. It should run on all Chromebooks.

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
It’s just too complicated for children who are novices. Especially those who have dyslexia. If you look at Thonny, and the simplicity it has for ptythin, then no more than this is needed for replit lite for education. You can then continue to develop replit for commercial use, and social media, while not impacting those who need a simple functional interface that is easy to navigate.

Replit Profile: https://replit.com/@MrM

7 Likes

True; it’s hard to introduce some of my classmates to all the complex tools of it.

4 Likes

True, the normal version of replit is too bloated for educational students.
Also welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Yes, it can be, but honestly, I think that VS Code is so much more clutttered.

1 Like

FWIW viewing a repl with a mobile user-agent loaded in a small window gives you a cleaner UI which loads slightly faster. You would do ctrlshiftictrlshiftmctrlshiftm or possibly use/create a browser extension or selenium script to do this. But even then, that UI appears broken on desktop until you double-click the tabs button in the bottom right

1 Like