How I could connect to the Neon PostgreSQL database without SSL?

Hello! I’m very new to Repl.it and I’m using it to teach a workshop with Elixir/Phoenix Live View on how to build financial web APIs and a cool web mobile app to manage this financial API.

For this Phoenix app I need nodejs and PostgreSQL working as I have static assets and a database to manage. I know I can go to another service like elephantsql and issue a new database server but I would like to give a chance to the neon/repl.it database feature, as I already uses PostgreSQL on my app.

However, tryinto to connect from my application (with Ecto) to the database I have this initial error:

19:34:47.595 [error] Postgrex.Protocol (#PID<0.205.0>) failed to connect: ** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR XX000 (internal_error) connection is insecure (try using `sslmode=require`)

Ok, so I enabled the ssl option on ecto to make protected connections, but it appears that I don’t have those certificates to start a SSL connection:

19:35:32.584 [error] Postgrex.Protocol (#PID<0.504.0>) failed to connect: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) ssl connect: Options (or their values) can not be combined: [{verify,verify_peer},
                                                {cacerts,undefined}] - {:options, :incompatible, [verify: :verify_peer, cacerts: :undefined]}

I can’t even start a psql shell because of this:

$ psql $DATABASE_URL
postgresql://neon:yK9dfqc8rFHP@ep-soft-lab-90810206.us-east-2.aws.neon.tech/liquid_dev

So what is the right way to connect to a postgresql database neon from my application/shell with the postgresql feature with/without ssl?

Also, here’s my repl: https://replit.com/@zoedsoupe/liquid-template