How do I use PY in HTML

Question:
I have searched far and wide, but nowhere have I been able to find a set of instructions I actually understand.
How do I use Python in an HTML website?

Python isn’t really meant for HTML. You can use PyScript, but I don’t know how reliable or effective that is. You can also use a Flask server to host HTML pages, which allows you to generate HTML pages from Python variables and whatnot. What is your objective?

4 Likes

I’ve tried that, it’s not really… idk… good? usable?

this is what I’e seen while searching. How exactly would I do this?

3 Likes

Here’s the template for Flask: https://replit.com/@replit/Flask?v=1
Here’s a nice guide written by Qwerty: Python Flask Jinja Templating

Basically, Flask allows you to create HTML pages using Python. So, building on the Replit Flask template, this would be a basic website:

main.py

from flask import Flask, render_template

app = Flask(__name__)

@app.route('/')
def index():
    my_title = "Welcome to my Flask app!"
    return render_template("index.html", title=my_title)

app.run(host='0.0.0.0', port=81)

templates/index.html

<h1>{{title}}</h1>

This would make https://[repl-name].[username].repl.co/ show an <h1> element that says “Welcome to my Flask app!” I personally found Flask very intuitive. I began using it after learning the basics of Python. You also don’t have to use render_template and can return HTML code but render_template is a good choice for larger sites.

4 Likes

@anon40284853 could I use this in a alrey made HTML site?
could I use this in any way to make sort of a display box on the HTML page to the side of other content, where I can run the py?

No because it’s a server.

2 Likes

so if I have a website, the only way I can add py to it is with pyscript?

2 Likes

Pretty much. There might be something else like PyScript but yeah adding Python to a website would require something like PyScript. Flask builds websites, but it is backend (like NodeJS), not frontend.

3 Likes

Here is a pretty good option:
pywebio
PyWebIO Application?

simple to use just do

import pywebio
from pywebio.input import * ## enable all the input features
from pywebio.output import* ## enable all the output features
from pywebio import start_server

def some_stuff():
    put_text("woah neat")
    input("do you like it?")

start_server(some_stuff)
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.