App.post() no access to response methods

Question:
Hopefully my code is formatted correctly, this is my first time posting.
I am having a problem with accessing the response object methods inside the callback used within app.post().

When I run a post request, I can get the data fine but I can’t use res.json(), res.send(), res.sendFile() or any of the like.
It returns Cannot Get /api/shorturl/new

When you change it to a get request there is no issue and you can use all of the response methods.

I am aware with express 5 they have changed how the response methods are used a bit. I have tried res.status(res.statusCode).json({message:“hello”}) but nothing works you just keep getting:
Cannot GET /api/shorturl/new

When you add error handling to the js code below you get this:
express deprecated res.send(status, body): Use res.status(status).send(body) instead index.js:44:43

Even with the above error occurring the end result is still:
Cannot GET /api/shorturl/new

The error above is how I figured out that express had changed to some degree but like I said, I tried that too but to no avail.

The express version is: 4.18.2
This is all for a freeCodeCamp.org test:
URL Shortener Microservice on the backend tests

Repl link:
index.js - boilerplate-project-urlshortener - Replit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <title>URL Shortener Microservice | freeCodeCamp.org</title>
    <link
      rel="icon"
      type="image/png"
  href="https://cdn.freecodecamp.org/universal/favicons/favicon-16x16.png"
    />
    <link href="/public/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
  </head>

<body>
    <h1>URL Shortener Microservice</h1>
    <main>
      <section>
        <form action="/api/shorturl/new" method="post">
          <fieldset>
            <legend>URL Shortener</legend>
            <label for="url_input">URL:</label>
            <input id="url_input" type="text" name="url" placeholder="https://www.freecodecamp.org/" />
            <input type="submit" value="POST URL" />
          </fieldset>
        </form>
      </section>
      <script>

</script>
    </main>
    <footer>
      <p>By <a href="https://www.freecodecamp.org/">freeCodeCamp</a></p>
    </footer>
  </body>
</html>
require('dotenv').config();
const express = require('express');
const app = express();
const cors = require('cors');
const bodyParser = require("body-parser");

app.use(cors());
app.use(bodyParser.urlencoded({extended:true}));

app.use('/public', express.static(`${process.cwd()}/public`));

app.post("/api/shorturl/new", (req,res)=>{
      res.json({
      })
})

app.get('/',  (req, res,)=>{
  res.sendFile(process.cwd() + '/views/index.html');
});

const port = process.env["PORT"] || 3000;
app.listen(port, function() {
  console.log(`Listening on port ${port}`);
});

hmm… It works for me (I see {message: "HELLO"})

1 Like

I noticed that I forgot to place this in my original message. When I work with everything locally myself, everything is great. freeCodeCamp.org does their testing for this particular section through Replit. I assume that there is something weird going on with Replit. That was actually why I decided to write the post here. I apologize for not including that to begin with.

1 Like

Somehow it still returns “message” “HELLO”

BTW I’ve created a working version over at my Replit profile.

1 Like

Ok so I tried your particular set of code but I don’t know the secret values used and I don’t know SQL. I did however fork the VictoriousSuwand profile example that you forked yours from. I tried her actual example before forking and it worked. However, when I tried my copied version it doesn’t work. I also rebuilt the project from scratch by creating files and copy/pasting the code into a fresh Replit but nothing seems to work. It is the same problem that originally happened: Cannot GET
It’s like the second I try to run the code from a Replit of mine it won’t work but it will work when test running the code from VictoriousSuwand’s profile. I am truly confused?! I promise you I know how to do this and can complete a successful post request as well as use any of the response methods but with Replit it’s like I’m missing something. Could you give me any thoughts on what you think might be going on or maybe have a direction you could point me in? I would really appreciate anything you can suggest.

Hahaha…FINALLY! I posted the question on the freeCodeCamp forum and someone explained to me that apparently you can’t get response method returns except for when you run it in a new tab! Thank you very much for taking the time to help me!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.