AI Code Completion in Teams for EDU

AI code completion is an amazing tool, but it is not useful to have it always available in Educational teams. Students can’t learn to code if the computer always does it for them. Please, Replit, can you add a feature to teams for education to allow team owners to disable the AI completion tool centrally.

If AI code completion cannot be disabled centrally it will not be possible to ever use Replit for coding assessments, and it becomes increasingly difficult to use it for teaching. Being able to identify where AI has been used after the event is not enough - it needs to be possible to stop students using it in the first place.

Replit Profile: https://replit.com/@jem40

39 Likes

I agree. I try to teach my students to code in a particular way, based on what the course I am teaching requires. If a student just goes with the AI code completion suggestion they don’t necessarily understand what they are doing, and the suggestions often are totally unsuited to what the program should do.

Sadly, if there is no way to turn this off, I will need to stop using Replit for my classes.

11 Likes

Its on the roadmap. See this post for more details

5 Likes

Thank you. When you state that it’s on the Roadmap, do you believe this will be done soon, like in a week or two, or do you believe it will take months to complete? I ask because I don’t want to move everything to another platform, but I need to get stuff done soon and the AI is preventing this from happening. Thanks.

1 Like

I am not replit staff so I have no idea the priority for this

2 Likes

Yes…I agree with DavidHust1 100%…If I have to find another solution, I may have to move too.

3 Likes

It’s imperative that this feature is enabled and quickly. We use it for our assignment and already have been be very strict in the way that we run it. We have managed to implement measures to ensure that it is run in full accordance with the necessary requirements but we would have to completely change things if AI is available to pupils who must write their own solutions. It is good that Replit is listening however and yes the feature is great when you’re not in a learning situation and needing to work out code for yourself.

5 Likes

On top of the fact that I need to quickly have the ability to disable AI code completion for my Educational team, this change has reduced my trust in Replit. This change was rolled out seemingly without thought about how it would impact education, and without significant hard-to-miss notice for educators. This is another point in favor of finding a different solution for my classroom.

I’m giving a test today, and we’ve been using only Replit for coding, so I didn’t feel like I was able to prepare students for using a different platform today. So my students are just…taking a test on a platform that is auto-suggesting lines of code, even if they don’t explicitly request it. What am I even supposed to do with that?

If the change allowing me to disable AI for my teams doesn’t happen in the next few weeks, I will need to find a different way to do tests. And I will probably be finding a way to migrate away from Replit for future years (even if that means that I need to pressure my school to check out regular laptops, rather than chromebooks, to APCS students).

6 Likes

In agreement with this, I need some way as a teacher to disable AI code completion when making assignments and prevent it from then being turned on again by students. It has been a huge inconvenience in my classroom and my students complain about AI code completion being a constant distraction when they try to type. No one would ever want a website that does students’ homework for them, why did Repl ever think this was a good idea?

2 Likes

I feel this is very weird request from teachers to disable Ai,

it's the era of Ai and you are talking about not to use that? no matter if they are students and they are doing assignments, teachers should teach them how to use ai, if they really wanna learn coding they will learn automatically by doing it practically, although teachers also just want assignments from students honestly, they don’t teach them programming to built projects and actual real life things :slight_smile: so chill…

printf(Make the Ai free for all);

I am not a teacher but I can see very clearly how AI for students is a bad thing. There is a strong temptation to not learn and not code (especially for people that are in the class but don’t like it) when you can simply ask an AI from the workspace how to do your assignment. In my opinion a programmer is better off to know how to program than to know how to properly prompt and AI to generate a program. AI programs are buggy and a programmer who relies solely upon AI for knowledge will be sorely disappointed with no clue how to debug “his” program.

7 Likes

You need to learn the basics and have a foundation before you use ChatGPT and the like to help you code IMO.

For the time-being, someone could write a Chrome extension that could be applied to your guys’ school computers that would always auto-disable all of the AI features.

1 Like

you are right theoretically but in real life and actual programs every developer uses Ai to code, not saying that students shouldn’t learn programming…
And i was just saying about the assignments and teachers that teachers just want assignments from students and they don’t care if the student understands the concept or not, if a student is interested in learning he himself will for sure not use ai for that and will learn programming from internet… The point and fact is that:

You can’t force anyone to not cheat if they really want to cheat - they will do it for sure.
There is no point in forcing them, if they cheat - they know they can’t learn by cheating and will leave programming soon when they face real world projects :slight_smile:

no one learn programming basics from assignments lol, internet teaches you programming for free, these teachers just want assignments as a formality which has no use in real life

You have a very low opinion of teachers. Most teachers do care about their students and even if they don’t it is their job to make sure the students learn how to do something without cheating. You clearly are not a teacher.

You see, real life developers know how to code and the AI is a helper. If you use the AI to learn to code, then it will be backwards where the AI is coding and the developer is the helper. This will create a generation of programmers that have no idea what they are doing and rely solely upon AI and older developers to do their job.

They won’t learn if they are dependent upon AI.

It is the teacher’s job to make sure the student learns whether the student likes it or not.

A bunch of real teachers see this as a real issue. Why do you have a problem with teachers caring enough about their students to make sure they actually learn something?

10 Likes

I’m just saying the fact that if a student wants to cheat, he will cheat no matter how much they get ai banned , and if they really wanna learn programming then they will learn from Ai better than the teacher in universities who just care about assignments which doesn’t teach us practical coding.
If someone uses ai to write all code but doesn’t know the concepts then they are script kiddies and they will soon leave programming or will go to basics automatically when they code for real life projects…and I’m not against teachers but just about those who teach without real life projects, atleast they should teach them some frameworks so they can save the extra fee which they give to tuitions to learn coding after uni. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And if the student uses a different browser? Works from home? Incognito window?

Here’s the thing - if it wasn’t turned on by default, without zero warning from Replit prior to it happening, we would be less upset. The fact that it was on for everyone and students see the code before being required to think - they don’t even get the chance to not cheat.

A student who wants to actively cheat will do so.

I’ll give you another example. I’m thinking of a number from 1 to 100, it’s 35. What’s the number? Oh wait, you already saw it so you didn’t have to think or try.

7 Likes

Then give them a totally random password, and have them only logged in to school computers