Why change hosting?

Recently, I noted that replit is making some… changes to hosting. Why? Replit is still making a lot of money off of the plans, always on (which they are removing), storage (another newer one), and all those other things I tend to ignore. Well, this change I cannot ignore because now replit is making some forceful changes that will change a lot!

Why change? As I said, you are making money. Now if you want a free domain, starting January, you have to pay for the Hacker or Pro plan. Those aren’t cheap. I want to stay with replit because of how nice there program is here and there interface, but I think I might have to move to Glitch (which I don’t like very much but I like free programming a whole lot better)! I think replit might be making a bad mistake.

I mean no rudeness to the replit company, but I am dissapointed. I came on to replit for the community, and benefits. Now I am stressed about finding a new programming website that runs python programs, flask, and gives free domains. I will not pay.

MilesWK
https://mileswk.glitch.me (used to be https://mileswk.repl.co)

11 Likes

@MilesWK Soon, you will be able to use Static Deployments for free, as stated by
Replit staff.

5 Likes

Bringing out my inner Qwerty, it should be our instead of are.

3 Likes

Okay! Yay! That sounds good! Yay! Oh wow that is awesome! I hope that is true!

4 Likes

Yeah! I wrote that in like 5 minutes so some of my writing might be incorrect. It feels good that @not-ethan liked this. It was a gamble because I didn’t know if moderation would take this down and ban/warn me.

1 Like

It is true. Reading surrounding messages clarifies that this should apply to all users, not just students.

1 Like

So, HTML/CSS/JS will be free?

All Repls will be free, you will be able to deploy static HTML, CSS & JS Repls for free within your egress limits.

5 Likes

Correct. Any static website that does not require a full backend will be free with Static deployments, as long as you do not exceed the limit of 10GB of egress.

3 Likes

What about project that do have a backend. I have a lot of projects with a python backend. So will all of them have to be taken down.

You will either need to pay or take them down on Replit.

4 Likes

Im planning to still develop here sometimes but also use glitch.com websites as an alternate website since I dont trust replit to be stable with its current limits

3 Likes

You guys really are making a big mistake, Replit was great for me until i hear bout this, In my eyes this will get you less visitors, people come here because they like the free hosting and now your just striping that away from them.

Please i beg of you guys don’t make this mistake. I like not having to just make static, And just like MilesWK said, I will not pay either no matter what the deal is, or how much it will cost, and i bet other people will say the same.

8 Likes

whats the point in the core subscription when static would be free then? are they going to add VM benefits

This was a misunderstanding, you do not get infinite free static on any plan, nor is the cc requirement being removed.

4 Likes

Yea I came here for websites!

You have 100 free static sites, and I doubt anyone will create that much sites. However, all these are pointless without a credit card.

I might. I’ve made over 100 games before, sooooo

Not really sure what you mean here, I’ve never seen a number limit on static sites. IIRC it’s just in and out egress.

3 Likes

Yes the outbound data transfer and possibly inbound are a limit and your account has an overall storage limit but to my knowledge Replit has never implemented a limit on the number of static sites you host so long as they fall within the other limits.

4 Likes