What will deployments do?

So, I might be dumb or bad at reading but I want to know more about what the deployments transition will entail.

I have neither heard of nor used (I think) Always On. I have developed a few Discord bots for myself, they use things like Flask servers (and the node.js equivalent) and UptimeRobot to keep themselves alive. Will Always On changes affect me?

Secondly, The article mentioned some changes to repl.co and I use links from repl.co for my projects in uptime robot, are those changes going to affect me? Will I no longer be able to use UptimeRobot or will I remain untouched?

repl.co links will cease to exist, replit.dev will only work while you’re actively editing the Repl, and replit.app hosts deployed projects. Any project you keep online now with pingers will not stay online once repl.co goes down.

2 Likes

So if replit.co dies and replit.dev only works when I’m editing it, they’re forcing me to use deployments, which cost money or some kind of plan in order to use?

1 Like

Except Static Deployments (only static websites: html, css, and frontend js) should be free without a credit card soon.

1 Like

But everything else like Python, backend JS and more will be paid for?

1 Like

Yes, because they have a backend.

3 Likes

That’s a shame. I guess nobody can resist money. I’ll have to find a better alternative than Replit then. Thanks though.

1 Like

It’s not that Replit is greedy, it’s that it is hard to host for millions of people for free, otherwise they lose money hosting for free. So most of them have to be paid, and websites are one of the most popular things to do on Replit since several businesses use it to make their website, so they can still make money to run and provide an IDE for everyone.

2 Likes

Why not charge businesses money for this excellent service instead of forcing people who just want to make a fun project that deals with a little bit of backend and web access (and runs constantly) to pay?
If I’m wrong in some aspect, pardon my ignorance as I am new to this discussion.

1 Like

It is still expensive on resources for Replit to run it for free for everyone many millions of people, I was just using businesses as examples. In addition to that, its not like they can make Core more expensive since not everyone uses that, so they went with websites as they use the most resources, some being alway-on and all of that.

2 Likes