What’s the most useful programming language?

Honestly I wish I had started with the hardest language, since after everything else would be easy xD
Id say python is one of the simplest.

1 Like

As much as I love JS, python was the first real language I ever learned so I am really familiar and I like it more. However, I do like the syntax of javascript (main the curly brackets) better than python’s syntax.

1 Like

Aaaaaaaaa … i hate … wait you like the curly brackets? That is fine :wink:
Jokes aside, what part of JS grammar do you like? Most -Empel like it because it is easygoing hack together and is very permissive (next to the fact there is a library or a framework for almost anything in js).

1 Like

Python also has many libs
Javascript’s main advantage for me is web frameworks

2 Likes

Arguably Python is the best of them overall, since it can do anything the others can do (except maybe JS), but way easier, with performance as its tradeoff

Once Mojo comes out, then that possibly could take down Python since its performance is apparently more than triple that of Python is some tests, and it can apparently be used with/in Python too

2 Likes

If we talk about languages in general, it is best to find the one that suits the task better instead of the one that can do it all. At least this is my opinion.

1 Like

I think people sometimes forget about certain languages that are very good, but hang in the background because of other, more popular languages cough cough Python.

For instance, Haxe is a language I’ve recently gotten into, but it’s not that popular although it has many great features that I think make it a fine alternative to C++.

Yes the modern day ActionScript 2.0 … somehow you can see the influence of the day and an interesting language that can be cross compiled to others.

In general, I agree. Everybody talks about the usuals languages.

Yeah mojo sounds amazing

Heard these type of statements so many times. Lots of wanna be JS, Python or C killers … most died, few carved their space. But those three are still popular if not even more than before.

1 Like

It would take a lot to kill C, especially since most “competitors” to C are implemented using C/C++ theirselves.

2 Likes

But you get them piping out constantly …

1 Like

Yes, that is true. However, I think Mojo has potential.
The difference between Mojo and other languages that call themselves “Python killers” is that Mojo isn’t actually a self-proclaimed Python killer. It says it’s just a super-set of Python that can be used by itself or with Python.

2 Likes

At first glance it looks an interesting (kind of) meta-language that can be compiled into another language or event o executable.
We will see is the community will catch up as to dethrone the kings, the community/user base is al that matter. What mates Python and JS popular is that most problem can be solved by means of googling/github/stack_overflow. This truly helps the novices.

Join me, and together we will rule the galaxy!

2 Likes

You open up your phone or your laptop, probably one of the first things you are going to do is open up your browser and start browsing. At the very least, you are almost certain to do this at least once every time you open your device. When you do that, what makes all these pages you visit function properly (or in some cases at all) and actually interactive? JavaScript!

That said, Python is a close second because it is quite easy for a beginner to pick up or an experienced developer to whip up a prototype in.

(This is all IMO :man_shrugging:)

2 Likes

Wdym you can’t? You created it.

Even as a mod I can’t edit a poll after five minutes lol

1 Like

Oo that’s pretty annoying!

ok, but … what do you mean…