What programming language do you regret learning

i just felt like i aged 20 years from stress endured under a single second. I was today years old when i realized that js is short for javascript. So p5.js is just slightly interpreted javascript for visual effects? Oh god I feel so monumentally small now.

2 Likes

So before then, you thought that the js file extension was short for “just?”

3 Likes

Yeah, lets go with that :+1:

For me JavaScript is one of the best…

3 Likes

Block coding like scratch has its uses. And to whoever feels it is too restrictive and useless, it means it did achieve its goal, scratch was created as a way to introduce programming in a very easy way, it was never meant to be truly used for programming.

This said, block coding combines with traditional coding, can be very powerful for game making and matlab :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In another sense, it could possibly teach another programming language. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. In some learning areas, javascript can be represented in block code. Now if javascript can be represented in code blocks, other languages could be represented in code blocks as well. Even if there’s going to be a huge range of the blocks if its a low level interpreted langauge, it could still be done. Maybe i could assemble a group of people to assemble a ui or workspace that lets you code different programming langauges like c++ and and python in block code.

Also since python has become a really huge thing, and since it’s already interpreted at higher level, along with being object oriented, I think python could be very compatible with giving a block code representation alternative.

I hope this makes sense.

3 Likes

If you’ve ever heard of Scratch, it’s pretty much JS block code, especially under the hood (with intentional delay/lag). I’m sure you could make block code for any language if you were dedicated enough, and honestly, this sounds like an awesome idea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not gonna lie, I don’t really regret learning a programming language.
(I haven’t touched C#, C++, and Scratch.)

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but what? I feel like a kid who just learned that Santa Claus isn’t real.

But doesn’t introducing intentional lag or deliberately slowing down a program go against ethical coding principles?

2 Likes

If the scripts weren’t delayed, you’d get everything happening nearly instantly and you’d have to add wait blocks (or whatever they’re called) after every line to see movement etc. A move left block won’t make you teleport left (which it would in actual code), it will move you there over a small delay.

1 Like

C# is my favourite language, it’s also one I pretty much never use… :frowning:

Then it will teach the user to add wait blocks instead, instead of ruining everything else in the process that requires good run time. Users can just write a code block that will do that movement with wait time, or have a built-in where only movement is delayed.

1 Like

Well… tell the Scratch team that lol, but also some blocks like collision and colour collision detection in specific are pretty laggy just cos they’re intensive operations running on your CPU.

1 Like

if you think about it scratch is more challenging than regular coding (for smaller projects that is)
with the amount of limmitations you have with the blocks its a great challenge to try and code physics the same way he has

(edit) dis this whole chat turn in to every one hating on sratch?

I have a vendetta against Scratch ever since I was permanently IP banned… It’s a bit of a long story, and probably one of my biggest programming regrets (losing my Scratch account), but also the greatest thing that ever happened to me, because then I learnt JS and a whole load of other languages and found my passion for programming.

Long story short, Scratch for some reason seemed to think one of my younger brother’s accounts was an alt account of a user who did something bad (which it wasn’t), and they (not unreasonably) thought my account was an alt of my brother’s (same IP, similar name, fair enough). Resulting in me and both my younger brothers getting our accounts permanently IP banned for no reason (and maybe also my younger sister’s account too…). :cry:

I was especially mad because at the time I was working on a project that was low key blowing up (this was around the time Among Us was blowing up too… :wink:) and then I got banned…

Scratch: Replit is just the place where all the Scratch banned users hang out.

Also maybe python I think it’s slightly overrated

2 Likes

Scratch does have very good moderation. Their automatic bad message detection system is also pretty bad

2 Likes

I got ip banned for a year for making a simpsons themed comment bot but I appealed to the scratch team asking them to un-ip-ban so my siblings wouldn’t lose their accounts, I got unbanned a week later, I still use offline scratch to draw icons for my websites

My former scratch account

2 Likes

You mean the SVG editor on Scratch?

How dare you all insult scratch. It is an amazing coding language and very useful for beginners.