What is @replit/database missing?

Replit has a simple library for interacting with the Replit database using NodeJS, @replit/database. What features of this library do you think could be improved? What helper functions do you think could be implemented to make interacting with the Replit database easier for you? What are your thoughts on this library?

1 Like

Other than optimizing the library, this library is already so good and simple that idt anything else can be improved. I think this is the same reason why some people don’t prefer it. Even storage seems to be an issue in many places I’ve seen.

2 Likes

I’ve been working on a library to ‘rival’ @replit/database, ez-repldb. Do you think this improves on some of the features of @replit/database and would be easier to use? (If not, what would make it easier to use?)

caching. See better-replit-db - npm (npmjs.com)

1 Like

We are working on integrating third-party database into repls :sparkles:

In my opinion, replit databases are missing performance and a lot of indexing abilities that other databases have.

5 Likes

This was something I considered but wasn’t sure how to implement given that a user could potentially access and edit a database from multiple places simultaneously, however I’m probably going to add caching and just ignore that possibility until I can come up with a better solution.

1 Like

I’ve implemented basic caching, I added a property cachingEnabled to enable users to indicate whether they would like to access cached values (if available) using get, and a method (cache) to automatically cache all values (values are also cached on set and on get if they are not already cached and removed from the cache on delete).