What do you use to teach CS other than replit?

What do you use to teach CS other than replit?
  • GH
  • Codecademy
  • codeHS
  • LITTLE
  • HackRank

0 voters

If you use something else tell us in the replies below

If you have an idea for a future poll dm the idea.

I use codeHS for Python mostly, and a LITTLE for Java just to learn the basics.

1 Like

That’s great. I haded those 2 to the poll.

At college level, I’ve used hackerrank.com contests for free autograding.

1 Like

Thats awsome. I added that to the poll in the OP.

For targeted curriculum mapped tests I use N7 - full disclaimer, I’m one of its creators but also a teacher that uses it weekly! www.n7.education

1 Like

I’m in Canada so our curriculum differs - most American tools follow a more aggressive, advanced curriculum (which I hope to embrace soon). Since the majority of my classes are “intro” and I’m not a fan of block-coding or childish smoke-and-mirror “coding” tools that mask actual syntax and structure, I’ve been teaching the content myself and giving tasks via Replit. My budget is also $0 and 90% of students are on Chromebooks, so there’s that.

For my 12’s I use picoCTF, Codewars, and Codingame for my advanced students who wish to learn independently and move ahead. The goal is also to provide them with the ability to code in Unity in the future - but that requires computers capable of doing so. I’m slowly building that up (have 6 so far).

Baby steps. My program started in 2019 and then COVID hit, so there’s been a massive pause and adjustment.

3 Likes

Before Covid, I used CodeBlocks and IronPython, depending on the language taught. Since Covid, I have exclusively been using Replit since it is just browser-dependent, and can be done on the kid’s chromebooks, PC’s, or really any device. I have since liked the way Replit allows me to package the lessons, and also to do some testing. (To @MrBrash) It is possible that in the US, students might be taking part in AP Computer Science. We can’t do that in our school, since we are already an IB school. I would imagine there are some Canadian schools that can do AP Comp Sci, but I realize not all schools can do it, including ours. I know AP Comp Sci exists, since the AP textbook for Java is right here next to my elbow. :slight_smile: … all 1000 pages of it.

3 Likes

Yes!, I agree with you on Block-Coding Thought Even I avoid it as that won’t make up the mind set for real coding language and students often get confused.

1 Like