Using Visual Studio Code on Replit?

Is it possible to install and use VSC in a Replit? I find it to be such a refined product, that if I could combine it with Replit’s tools for educators, I (and my students) would be very happy campers. Has anyone done this? I note that VSC is open source, free for non-commercial and commercial use – vscode/LICENSE.txt at main · microsoft/vscode · GitHub – so I presume that this would be legal.

2 Likes

Try using code-server.

ON Replit, Idk. But if you get any of the paid plans you can get SSH and I think you can use that to edit your Repls using an outside editor or something.

4 Likes

The paid plans aren’t needed for SSH to work, you can set up dropbear in a repl and use GitHub - vi/websocat: Command-line client for WebSockets, like netcat (or curl) for ws:// with advanced socat-like functions for tunneling SSH traffic over websockets.

This sounds intriguing, but the installer wants me to have root access… have you done this?

3 Likes

Yes, I have done it. If you add me to a repl, I’ll show you how I’ve set it up in the past.

The installer isn’t needed, just add it using nix

I’m pretty sure that you can use GitHub as a middle man to do this! When you create the repl you can import it from GitHub and edit it from VScode via the GitHub desktop app! It will then automatically update the code in Replit! Let me know if this doesn’t work!

That doesn’t let you directly use vscode on a repl.

1 Like

Also, github is an unnecessary and bloated workaround.

1 Like

Attempt # 1:

So, here’s what happens when I try and follow the instructions:

sudo dpkg -i code_1.76.2-1678817801_amd64.deb
sudo: command not installed, but was located via Nix.
Would you like to run sudo from Nix and add it to your replit.nix file? [Yn]:
Adding sudo to replit.nix
success
/nix/store/1k145gm933pi0bv9l35v3rd65ac5j8zk-sudo-1.9.12p1
sudo: The “no new privileges” flag is set, which prevents sudo from running as root.
sudo: If sudo is running in a container, you may need to adjust the container configuration to disable the flag.

How do I get around the “no new privileges” flag?

Attempt # 2:

I tried instead downloading a .gz file, but then

tar xf code-stable-x64-1678818101.tar

leads to a Disk Quota exceeded error.

This is for Teams for Education, I figured there should be plenty of room for VSC.

Any ideas?

Add pkgs.code-server to replit.nix.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: How to make my own website?