Usernames with special characters

special characters could be allowed. I really want a username but it has special characters in it.

3 Likes

Please fill out the full form this is annoying

3 Likes

The problem is that usernames with special characters would not work with hosted Repls, as the URL contains your username. And special characters aren’t allowed in domain names, only letters and hyphens. So if you had any other characters in your username you wouldn’t be able to have hosted Repls, unless you only used Repl ID URLs.

4 Likes

I don’t think this wouldn’t be very useful and it can cause a lot of issues.

1. Replit may not be able to support special characters for usernames and if they do, they will have to either migrate to a database that can support special characters or manually configure the existing database to allow for special characters, both methods require a lot of work to be done.

2. Special characters, such as slashes and @ symbols, can cause problems when going to the user’s profile page/user’s Repl page. While these can be replaced with more suitable symbols like dashes and underscores in the URLs, it will still be difficult to maintain and organise the usernames in Replit’s databases, not to mention the Search feature may have to be revamped to be compatible with the special characters.

So in conclusion, this is a really terrible idea. But until the technology and restrictions allow us to have such characters, it won’t be practical to do so.

4 Likes

I agree that it would be nice to have usernames with special characters but I have to say this would also cause a boatload of issues and wouldn’t be a good idea.

4 Likes

Your bluntness is always so refreshing. :heart:

2 Likes

Using national characters would probably cause a lot of issues, however for my students I would really appreciate transliteration eg. ÄŤ => c, Ăł => o etc instead of throwing the characters away.

1 Like

Well, they have things like that. For example, if you type, ඞ into the repl name, the website URL would make it, ng.

1 Like

I have not seen that - repls of my last year student who has a name Třeštík - and uses it as his replit login - had the string “tetk” in URL

1 Like