Use system resources to run repls

Describe your feature request
I think it would be nice to have an option to use your system’s resources to run repls, rather than at the cap of 1 gb of ram and 1 cpu core.
What problem(s) would this feature solve?
I love replit because of how easy it is (it’s like apple- it just works), but I don’t like it’s resource cap (and no, I do not want to pay for a hacker plan). VS Code is a tad bit confusing for me (nvm, very confusing), and overall replit has a better experience. I understand, however, that when other users run any repl that the creator had this setting on, it will be back on replit’s resource cap, which I’m fine with.
Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
I was working on a python project (has a graphical interface), when I noticed it was getting very choppy and slow. With that, I turned to VS Code, only for it to not have the right packages for install (ursina, if you must know). I then went back to replit, and thought of this request.

ps:
I don’t know if replit will like this because it might stop people from buying the hacker plan, but then again idk.

2 Likes

This isn’t possible.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate why?

1 Like

Replit would need admin access to your system to install languages, packages etc. This is not something a website can do.

Repls are run on containers in the cloud :cloud:, that’s their whole USP, so something like this wouldn’t be something I’d expect to see them work for even if it were possible :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes I understand that, sorry I didn’t elaborate. Installing packages on the repl would be done through the cloud, but any resource heavy activity would be held on your cpu and ram. I don’t know if that made any sense but there you go.

You can’t execute some code without having the correct software installed.

Didn’t think of that.

To add on to CodingCactus any website cant access stuff on the physical machine

Replit has a mobile app, it would be cool if there were also desktop versions. This could also enable you to use your own system resources, however this would more likely just cause issues due to differences in operating systems.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve currently been using an web app emulator to emulate replit (or any webpage) into a desktop window just because I like the way it looks :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If you want a desktop app it would need to be its own feature request. Though this is unlikely to happen IMO any time soon atleast.

Yeah I expected that so I wasn’t going to bother.

I’ll probably put one in later, but yep, just what I expected.

1 Like

Maybe, do it like colab

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.