Undo new Replit UI

A full 1000 character description is small because it counts markdown stuff that you don’t see as characters.
For example:

# Header
Click [here]("https://google.com")

Everything there counts as characters even though it displays only a few of those.

4 Likes

@anon40284853
I did forget that the description supported markdown, so I have to agree with you that it can be quite small, depending on the amount of markdown it has versus plain text. But that’s really dependent on how much markdown you include in it I guess. I remember when we had Replit talk though, and there wasn’t really a limit to the size of the description (you could make a whole tutorial in it!). So I am upset with this new feature we have for that reason.

3 Likes

The description shortening is a horrible idea. Not only is there zero indication that there’s more text, but the whole point of the sidebar is to focus on the repl info and comments.

3 Likes

@MrVoo1
Actually, there is an indication of more text… but it’s literally just “…” at the end of the description that disappear when you select the description. But the whole shortening description thing is still terrible anyway.

(I used random useless facts as an example (in the above link), I’m not ‘advertising’)
6 Likes

Replit listened and egress limits are much higher now. If only they would listen here… then there might be no community crisis.

7 Likes

I got an email advertising updates to Replit. Am I the only one who opens websites in a new tab instead of using the cover page? If you want to go to a website, most people go to the website, not use a little embedded version. If websites is their reasoning, then it MUST be undone.

https://blog.replit.com/new-cover-page
I disagree with everything that article says. Especially the “improved social experience”. This RUINS my social experience by making comments so hard to use. They weren’t easy to use in the first place but now they’re just plain hard.

5 Likes

As you can see in the screenshot, that is not a website. This update is for Repls that are not websites.

Though I still entirely disagree.

7 Likes

I need someone @ Replit to explain how exactly by hiding comments and condensing everything.

Why not: Change cover pages baxk, and add visible and easy to activate full screen.

4 Likes

That is a website.
https://replit.com/@torcado/SSSPICY?v=1

4 Likes

There is no “Open in new tab” button in the screenshot, though. That’s strange.

8 Likes

We now have another topic addressing specifically our hate for the new UI:
https://ask.replit.com/t/apparently-we-hate-the-new-ui/17110

8 Likes

Dear Replit,

I am writing to express my deep dissatisfaction with the new UI that you have recently implemented. As a longtime user of your platform, I was shocked and dismayed by the changes that were made without any prior warning or consultation.

The new UI is clunky, unintuitive, and difficult to navigate. It has made using your platform a frustrating experience for me and many other users who rely on it for their coding needs.

If this change is not soon repealed, I will unfortunately be forced to leave Replit forever. I simply cannot continue using a service that does not listen to its users’ feedback or take into account their needs when making important decisions like this one.

I urge you to reconsider these changes before it’s too late. Your loyal users deserve better than what they are currently being offered with this new UI update.

Sincerely,
A concerned user

The writings of a group PM (:wink: ) between me, @CoderElijah, @QwertyQwerty54, @anon45021817, @JayAySeaOhBee14, @GiggaPoggers, @Firepup650, and others (I forgot lol)

cc: @ShaneAtReplit … idk who else should I cc

BTW please don’t get mad at me, I was peer pressured by 71% of the PM to send this

14 Likes

Hey @bigminiboss,

I’m sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with our new interface!

Can you list the things that you do not like with the new UI? Please include any screenshots where necessary. We’re open to all feedback!

9 Likes

sorry for delayed response but we’re still compiling stuff (everyone seems to be afk at the moment)

5 Likes

The topic with almost 100 votes…

I wasn’t on here :cry:

4 Likes

yo we have more support engineers like @IroncladDev and @jesse :slight_smile:

3 Likes

your added :+1: sorry you weren’t online for a while :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

thanks for doing it :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I like absolutely none of the changes to the UI. The only things I like about the new UI are those few things that remain from the old one. I have zero positive feedback and 100% negative feedback. Some is personal preference but some is just hard to use.

I have compiled some of the major things from our protest:
The two big things are the side navigation is hidden (and when unhidden looks bad and when refreshed hides again) and that the comments are unusable.

10 Likes

ok we’ve compiled it as @anon40284853 said

5 Likes