Unable to call Python functions from Console

Workaround: Use IPython (template), which is better than prybar.
If the problems leading to the removal of prybar from the python replit module can be worked around easily using IPython, I would look forward to that.

2 Likes

Sorry for the disruption. We’ll provide a Python template with Prybar for those who still depend on it soon.

6 Likes

That’s very much appreciated. I am a teacher like @dniemitalo and this was a super handy feature for helping students understand state/behavior, or do quick experiments with them when I walk up to assist without adding it to their main.py.

I use it every day, and I’m sorry I didn’t notice the survey about it!

1 Like

I had no idea that the “console” tab was actually running a separate tool called prybar. I always assumed that the “console” tab was the python console. I have always depended on that to interrogate the state of variables post-execution and test functions. Very useful in performing demonstrations for students. I would appreciate having this functionality return.

2 Likes

Hello, I think that typing python -i main.py into the console (or shell) should have the same effect as prybar. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2 Likes

That works great. Thanks!

1 Like

This functionality will return.

1 Like

I know this is a temporary solution, but something that I found to work decently well is putting this code in your main.py file.

Code:

import os
file = open("script.py","a") #Here just to make sure the file exists
file.close()
os.system("python3 -i script.py")

Then just make sure to write all of your future code in script.py.

Hope that helps!

Welome to Ask! Try running python3 -i main.py.

Adding a way to get this back is appreciated, and also thanks for the additional workarounds that have been pointed out.

1 Like

Apologies for the wait! The Python with Prybar template is now available. Try it and feel free to give feedback here.

2 Likes

3+3
bash: 3+3: command not found
Still the same result.
The console was so great for student and why change that?

Create your replit using the Python with prybar template instead of the regular template. Then it works like before.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply but I tried the python with prybar and it doesn’t works like before. In the console you use to get 6 as a result after typing 3+3 but now “bash: 3+3: command not found”. Also after type() you get “bash: syntax error”. Hopefully replit will give the old version as a option, but at the moment it is not like before.

Can you share the link to your Repl?

What I notice is that you have to hit the run button first to make it start recognizing python code in the console.

1 Like

Hello all,

Same problem for me and hte prybar template doesn’t work

Thanks a lot

1 Like

Try running the prybar Repl and then using it.

Ok got it, it works.
Not very intuitive but not hard to explain to students :wink:
thanks a lot

There is nothing “fancy” about a python console. It is a standard component of any Python IDE. But more importantly - teachers develop pedagogy based on the feature set of the tech. they use. When a tech. feature disappears, it has huge ripple effects.

1 Like