Threads use filepaths as reference instead of file objects

Problem description:
Threads use filepaths as a reference instead of the actual file object.

Expected behavior:
Moving a file should also move any threads currently present on that file.

Actual behavior:
Threads are not moved. The Threads UI displays an error saying there is no file at the location. If a new file is created at the original location with the same name as the original file, threads are attached to the new file.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a file.
  2. Start a thread on that file.
  3. Move the file to another location (or rename the file)
  4. Attempt to open the thread from the threads interface.

Bonus:

1. Create a new file (or copy the moved file) with the same original name and filepath.
  2. Interact with the Thread you created (now it works)

Browser: All (Not a browser specific issue)
Device (Android, iOS, NA leave blank): All (Not a device specific issue)
Desktop app version (Avatar menu->“Version”) or NA: 1.0.4 (Not relevant)
Plan (Free, Hacker, Pro Plan): Pro

I fully recognize that one of the challenges to solving this issue is that if git is used with a project and a file is moved/renamed, git does not store any references to indicate that it’s the same file. Still - this is very irritating to lose all of this context just because I needed to change the folder structure of my workspace. Even just a ‘hey, there are threads attached to this, do you want to move those, too?’ would be helpful here.

1 Like

Learnto,

Thank you for this feedback. I will log this as a feature request for a possible future version of the product.

1 Like

Thanks, @AdamElchert3!

This is one of two bugs that’s really stopping my team from using Replit for an entire workflow we’re trying to set up for internal collaboration on content heavy projects.

The other is here: Markdown Preview Doesn't Handle Spaces in Link Paths for Local Files - #5 by learnto-ai

Once these are resolved, we’re pretty much going to use Replit in place of Google Docs, Notion, etc.