The json method in python

Question:
What does the .json() do? I have seen it being used a lot when dealing with the request module but i don’t really understand its function
Repl link:

code snippet

When you are working with the requests library in Python (or any library to make HTTP requests) the .json method is commonly used to decode a JSON response.

So you:

1. Make a HTTP request
  2. The server sends back a response
  3. The response will contain some data (in form of a string)

For API and webservices this response is commonly formatted as JSON.
When you receive a response from a server that contains JSON formatted data, you can use the .json() method to parse this data and convert it into a Python dictionary, which will allow you to interact with the data in a more… “Pythonic” way.

For example:

import requests

response = requests.get('https://api.example.com/data')

if response.ok:
    data = response.json()
    print(data['name']) 
else:
    print("Failed to fetch data.")

Here we fetch data from an API endpoint and parse the JSON response to interact with its contents.

2 Likes

Is there a difference between using this method in contrast to the json.load() from the json module?

If I am not wrong, .json() converts data to json format, while json.load() takes data from a json file.

1 Like

json.load() is used to parse and read JSON data from a file or a file-like object, while json.loads() is used to parse JSON data from a string and convert it into a Python data structure. For example, the string '{"name": "John", "age": 30, "city": "New York"}' would be converted to {'name': 'John', 'age': 30, 'city': 'New York'} when using json.loads().

Yes, that’s not really possible in this case unless you save the response in a text format to the file first and then read it, which is probably not the best option. However, as I mentioned before, you can simply take the response in text format and then use json.loads() to obtain the converted JSON data structure.