Terms and conditions related to derivatives of our replit aided written code

I have a question about terms of service…

In Section (A)
(1) Acceptance of Terms

Replit, Inc. (“Replit”) provides users with a hosted environment and community to code, build, share, and deploy software and web servers through our websites and apps (the “Service”). By using the Service, you are entering into a binding agreement with Replit, and you agree to comply with these Terms of Service (“Terms”) and also agree to our Privacy Policy; if you do not agree, you must not use the Service.

On section about: (B) Acceptable use:
In (2): Prohibited Content:
When we use the Service and then when we choose to distribute and share our code in public do we have to have all derivatives of our code (by all it’s users) to adhere to this part too? Or is it just for when we are using replit’s code completion(etc…) services…?

It’s a greater burden so I’m asking.

What the question is: that in visual studio 2022 (Microsoft) in visual c++, for example, they don’t tell you to not abuse users of your application that you are distributing. It is (I’m thinking) left for you to be responsible for your actions. Where law is applicable. And where it is mentioning to not abuse, using it’s services, it never mentioned visual studio as part.

Can you see the burden here?

What I’m asking is not why you didn’t give full freedom though.

What I’m saying is that: why didn’t you just state that we are responsible for our actions against the law instead of specifying precisely what not Todo? Or just being at least a little more indirect?

Am I making sense? I see this all around the LLMs I explore on the internet. They either ask for not building competing AI models, or mentioning the license in derivatives, or even ‘directly’ telling us what not to do in our derivates.

See the burden? It makes a difference. I mean I’ll use visual studio maybe without the LLM won’t I because of that??

Thanks, let me know if you can.

Regards,
-Nasser

Hi is there anyone to reply?

I believe Replit Staff are taking a look.

3 Likes

Ok good to know … Replit feels good… :wink:

Hi… sorry, The matter of the question is that where there is the “Prohibited Content” section in the Terms of Service, and where there is the licensing feature of replit involved, “how do we know” that the license is seperate from the our, in name, “Content” on the website/app (“Service”)? :grinning:-- sorry I read them as a whole and missed mentioning that… :grinning: I hope it doesn’t backfire with that arrangement I mean. So if I built an LLM (chatbot Large Language Model) what would be the implications? As it depending on MIT license by default, and just needing to have ‘implicitly’ my Content be compliant? Or is the wording: only the “license” of the full code, and not the Prohibited Content inflicted on to me by users’ derivatives to effect me. I mean, just because they got the code from replit, it doesn’t mean they have to follow anything else but the license of the code, correct?

Edit: The matter is that: section “C. Content on Replit” is mentioned after section B where licensing is mentioned. There is no indication of whether we look at it as section B first or C in the Terms of Service.

I’m thinking, disclaimer doesn’t have to be in beginning of ToS, to be the answer. Am I seeing this right? I mean I need to know how to handle if I write a repl of an LLM…

Anyone to answer? Replit support isn’t answering in full… Hmmm… Like when it has an MIT license for a public repl without team membership then how is it that it’s the terms instead when the MIT license is usable for commercial reasons too… I just need to make sure…

Edit: I mean when it’s not online and I download the repl as code instead of .repl file. Which isn’t necessarily the Services is it?