Tell me about new languages I should learn

So, I’m tired of Python and Golang and would like to learn another language as long as it’s not the following:

• C (C#, CPP, and so on)
  • Anything related to HTML / web pages.

Accepted:

• quick
  • simple to use

Langs I’ve daddled with:

• Golang
  • Python
  • Haskell
  • Crystal

I should mention that if the language uses C but has a completely different syntax, etc., I will still try it out.

3 Likes

Hmm… No C or web related…

If you really want to challenge yourself, how bout an Assembly language? :wink: Or machine code! :joy: (It’s possible!)

But in all seriousness, how about Kotlin? I believe Kotlin is meant to replace Java for Android development, so it might be useful to pick up. Or Swift, for iOS.

3 Likes

The last language I learned was Crystal because some of the syntax was very similar to Python, but I’ll give Kotlin a shot and see if it’s a good fit for me.

Edit:

I tried Kotlin, but when I tried to run the code, it just sat there for a while and did nothing?

3 Likes

Hmm… just tested it, it took a couple of minutes but it did, run. But it took way too long… Might be worth a bug report. Either way, try checking out Swift.

3 Likes

Ruby, LUA, Swift? These are cool

5 Likes

Would also recommend LUA! :grin:

4 Likes

Nim, it’s not famous but it is a great language.

4 Likes

I’ve heard about that one before :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dude you expect me to recommend a language that isn’t any of these???

1 Like

Yes Lua is nice but usually you embed it into C++ apps…

2 Likes

True, you can use it for game development though.

2 Likes

Yeah, Love2D & Luau for Roblox IG

3 Likes

There is that other one I forgot the name of, similar to Roblox but it’s like Unity for LUA.

1 Like

Hmm? If you remember, tell me the name of it! I would use Unity itself but VSCode intellisense stuff is sooo complicated to set up and I just gave up… :laughing:

1 Like

Found it! It was Core: https://www.coregames.com/

2 Likes

It also has a page for people coming from Roblox/LUAU: Coming to Core from Roblox - Core Documentation

2 Likes

Ah yes Core the Roblox ripoff
I remember at some point a bunch of Roblox YouTubers got in some tournament for some BSS ripoff in Core lol

3 Likes

Learn Java because it’s “not” c :rofl:

2 Likes

No! Learn C++ because superior :muscle:t2::muscle:t2::muscle:t2:

3 Likes

yes I am trying to cheese him into “not learning C” langs (Java is basically easy-distribution C++ but half as fast lol)

2 Likes