Super Confused Repl.it Hosting Changes

I programmed a website (myexamplewebsite.vai13.repl.co)on repl.it, and then I bought my own domain (myexamplewebsite.com) and linked it to the site built on repl.it. I saw that repl.it will be undergoing hosting changes and something about the repl. co domain not existing anymore. Is repl.it my website’s host and do I need to make any changes since i’m confused about whether my website will be affected and no longer work

3 Likes

Hi @Vai13!

Starting on January 1st, deployments will be the only way to host things on Replit. You will need to migrate to deployments. If you have Replit Core, this should be included.

1 Like

Thanks! I saw something about static deployments being free–would I use static deployments because my website doesn’t use servers, only the user interacts with the browser (no data storage)? For Static would I still need to buy a Replit subscription, and once I do deploy, will my website be hosted as usual? It says “upgrade your plan” but also “No server compute means free usage — you are only responsible for outbound data transfer (included in Replit plans).” Not sure whether I need Autoscale or Static.

3 Likes

Hey, i’m pretty sure static means that there cant be any javascript or none of that in the background. both front and back end. Meaning users couldn’t even interact with the browser. So basicly just plain html/css.

And js. You just can’t have a backend.

5 Likes

If you have an HTML, CSS, JS Repl (one that only has some .html files and maybe some .css and/or .js files), you would use a Static Deployment. Deployments are becoming the only way to link custom domains, although I don’t think they’ve made Static Deployments free yet (kinda weird).

But if you have a Node.js, Python, or other kind of Repl server that typically only works when the Repl is active (usually only has .js or .py files ran and then can host the HTML that is usually stored in another folder), then you should probably use Autoscale (it will automatically charge you based on usage/traffic/activity on your website), or you can use Reserved VM if you absolutely need it (but you probably won’t, because that will keep your project 100% always active no matter what, which is typically used for bots and stuff).

3 Likes

HTML/CSS/JS (as others have stated), React, Vite, and Hugo are static, and there are probably others too.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! Just to clarify, in order to get static and be able to host, the only would be through replit core?

Soon, it would be free but not right now, but after it becomes free all you would need to do is stay under an account wide egress limit of 10GB.

It is free right now (as long as you are under egress/outbound data transfer limit). All you need to do is connect a card. But soon the card won’t be required.

PHP static ? are you sure ?

1 Like

I think so… I thought so…

I thought wrong lol.

1 Like

it recommends autoscale, what does it do if you try static anyways?

I’ll make a dummy PHP Repl later and try deploying it.

4 Likes

Currently you just have to add a credit card (so that they would be able to charge you if your website gets too much traffic, which it likely will not), but they’ve been saying they’re gonna remove the credit card requirement just for Static Deployments.

4 Likes