Struggling to get macOS 13 Ventura working with VMware

I’ve been messing around with virtual machines on my Windows desktop, I got a Linux Ubuntu virtual machine working easily, but macOS is a different story.

My process has install the Unlocker (run win-install.cmd as administrator and let it do its thing) which allows you to use macOS operating systems with VMware. No problems with that. Then Create a New Virtual MachineI will install the operating system later → Guest operating system:Apple Mac OS X, Version: macOS 13 → Maximum disk size: 80.0 GB, Store virtual disk as a single fileCustomise hardware → Memory: 8 GB (half of available), Number of processor cores: 3 (half of available), Use ISO image file: (my macOS 13 Ventura ISO).

I then edit the .vmx file for the virtual machine, adding the following:

smc.version = "0"
cpuid.0.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:1011"
cpuid.0.ebx = "0111:0101:0110:1110:0110:0101:0100:0111"
cpuid.0.ecx = "0110:1100:0110:0101:0111:0100:0110:1110"
cpuid.0.edx = "0100:1001:0110:0101:0110:1110:0110:1001"
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:0111:0001"
cpuid.1.ebx = "0000:0010:0000:0001:0000:1000:0000:0000"
cpuid.1.ecx = "1000:0010:1001:1000:0010:0010:0000:0011"
cpuid.1.edx = "0000:0111:1000:1011:1111:1011:1111:1111"
smbios.reflectHost = "TRUE"
hw.model = "MacBookAir6,2"
board-id = "Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5"

(ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3" is already set correctly so there;s no need to edit this.)

The VM boots up, I format the hard drive, I follow the installation steps, it installs, but then it gets stuck in a boot loop.

Any help would be appreciated! :smile:

Edit: I should note, I tried a macOS 14 Sonoma first, I then tried macOS 12 Monterey, neither with any luck. Then I tried macOS 11 Big Sur, which did work, but I realised Xcode (one of the reasons I’d like a macOS VM on my desktop) requires macOS 13+, so I tried upgrading to macOS 13 Ventura and … boot loop.

1 Like

I know a fair bit about all this BIOS stuff but I’m a bit to conservative to go that far.

Just because I turned a Macbook 2009 into a usable Linux computer doesn’t mean I’m awesome at everything :frowning:

Getting macOS on a VM is very iffy. I tried using an ISO from techrechard.com, and I was actually able to boot into the macOS installer (after much trial and error with different physical keyboards and mice), but it would never boot right. And this is all kind of like Hackintosh, which requires all those crazy kexts and all. Maybe you’re already way past that but I just wanted to pitch in.

1 Like

Yeah, there are a bunch of different sites that all link to ISOs from techrechard.com. Booting into the installer isn’t an issue (assuming you’ve used the Unlocker and you’ve edited the .vmx file with smc.version = "0" (I don’t know if any of the other bits are really neccessary, but better safe than sorry :man_shrugging:).

Problem is once you’ve got the OS installed, you usually get a boot loop, so many people have had the same issue, but I can’t find a solution that works. For a little while I suspected it might be a hardware thing and something to do with changes to the OS going from 12 to 13, but really I have no idea.

I got macOS 10 Big Sur working no problem, but it’s too old for some of the things I want to use it for :sob:

1 Like

This is what happened to me when trying it, too. Well so, one time I was installing Windows on an empty hard drive, using a USB with installation media, and it had to reboot but then rebooted back into the installer, so I had to strike F12 and select the hard drive rather than USB. Is that what’s happening here? Like it’s booting into the installer ISO and not the virtual hard drive? Just a thought, I’m not an expert

1 Like

Yeah, XCode only works on the latest latest version(s)

1 Like

Could’ve been the issue (ngl I was hopeful), but that’s not what’s causing the bootloop, I just tested booting it up without the ISO connected and no luck.

Okay so, I saw a great video by an Indian guy on how to dual boot Windows 11 and MacOS Sonoma, and it works pretty much the same with macOS Ventura, but he puts the installer on a USB. Luckily, I know in VirtualBox you can configure it to boot from a USB, and you probably can on VMWare too. So try this maybe?

That website (olarila.com) also has vanilla images like ISOs you could try out maybe? But they’re hidden behind shady Linkvertise links that triggered my AV a few times.

But yeah try these. The video is really easy-to-follow and seems like it works.

1 Like

I’m trying to do the same thing. It’s very clearly not booting into the installer, it is attempting to boot the newly installed macOS on the virtual drive. I’ve tried every fix I’ve found except for installing from a usb, though there’s no real practical reason that should be at all different just because it’s from a usb, unless the efi it transfers is different. I have tried changing the svga to applegpu and back, tried changing smc values, tried every combination of ram and cpu cores I can think of.

It’s very clearly a shift that happened in Monterey according to all the prevailing wisdom online, but I too need Xcode and am trying to figure this out.

In both virtualbox and VMware it says that it crashes because of a kernel panic.

In your log file, what does it say right before The guest has requested that the virtual machine be hard reset? Mine lists a specific kernel panic that I couldn’t see in verbose mode in virtualbox, it says DarwinPanic: panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8018115333): initproc failed to start — exit reason namespace 6 subcode 0x1 description: Library not loaded: usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Does that mean anything to anyone?

Also this seems to uniquely affect people with AMD cpus waayyyyy more than those with intel. Is that you too?

I really don’t want to have to try to build an open core efi for this to work, but if that’s what it takes maybe I’ll look into it later this year. I was doing this to avoid making another kackintosh, but that may be against me :confused:

1 Like

I should have watched the video before responding. This guy is just dual booting a hackintosh. Olarila is a pretty legit source of premade general EFIs for hackintoshing systems. The premade are really handy, but they are generalized and when hackintoshing you may get lucky and have it work out of the box but often you will have to do a good amount of troubleshooting figuring out some random kext you need or a smbios change you have to do to get it to boot.

Since this is in a VM, the “hardware” is mostly all virtualized and therefore not that complex, so a prebuilt efi may work well. They do have an EFI prebuilt for AMD desktops for at least some versions of macOS but they don’t have any for AMD laptops which is what I’m trying to build on. I’ll try that later this week and let you know if it works. If so I’ll make an open core efi boot drive that can just be downloaded and used to boot into Mac VMs.

1 Like