SSL version or cipher mismatch error when linking domains

I created a website using Replit and I tried linking it to a subdomain of a domain I own. After linking it, the .id.repl.co URL and ..repl.co work, but the domain I linked it to shows an error saying “This site can’t provide a secure connection”, “website url uses an unsupported protocol.” and ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

I’ve created and successfully linked multiple Repls to custom domains and this is the first time I’m getting this error. I’ve already waited more than double the DNS propagation time and already tried unlinking and linking the domain again.

Hello @stast welcome to ask forums.

Can you tell me by what method you have verified you domain?

If you are using sub domain you need to copy and past the verification phrase in your sub domain by cname or txt or a record, may be you have done this with you main domain and that’s why it’s giving mismatch error.

If you’re using Cloudflare make sure to check your SSL settings and change it to Flexible. If that doesn’t change anything, use a DNS checker to make sure it has propagated.

Hi, thank you for your response. I thought I had done both the CNAME and the TXT DNS records correctly, and when I checked my Cloudflare, indeed it was both the correct sub-domain and values.

Do you have any other ideas as to what it might be caused by?

EDIT: To clarify, I linked the domain with both a CNAME record and a TXT record as instructed.

Thanks for the reply. I saw this reply a couple hours ago and switched it, but it has yet to fix the problem. I’m not sure how long it takes for the SSL settings to take effect, but that doesn’t seem to be the issue. As for the DNS, it has propagated correctly and the issue is still present.

Still appreciate the help though.

Can you confirm is replit showing custom domain verified ?? or it is still pending ??

chrome_v3voV154LH
Yup, it is verified and has been for about a day now.

As linking have been successful that means cname and txt process has been done correctly.

Now as you said you are using cloud flare can you check with ssl settings in cloud flare also try turning on and off proxy dns.

Okay, I’ve just turned off the proxy for the CNAME record. I’ll wait to see if it fixes things.

After I switched to the Flexible SSL mode in Cloudflare, all of the websites linked to that domain started showing errors for a redirect loop.

As a result I switched it to the “Full (Strict)” mode and all the websites, including the one mentioned here which wasn’t working, started working. I had it at the “Full” mode before, not “Full (Strict)” if that makes any difference for anyone else in the future who are struggling with this issue.

Thank you to the people that helped.

Well done on fixing this @stast and thank you for sharing the solution for other users!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.