Should Mods be able to view IPs?

Yes mods and Admin are able to view IPs and Emails. And they are logged when we do so. So if Replit staff see we are viewing everybodies and we don’t have a reason to do so we would be demoted.

Private message is not a good name because all admins can view all messages. Thats why I say message or direct message since they are far from private.

4 Likes

I thought discourse only logged when you check for emails, does it also log for IPs?

3 Likes

My bad you are correct. It only logs emails but it has been requested Hide & log viewing of Last IP and Registration IP Address - feature - Discourse Meta

4 Likes

Tbh I think that IPs should not be shown to anyone, but there would still be a system of showing which accounts are on the same IP.

2 Likes

You know Replit staff can view your IP on the main site right? Either way you can request it to be taken out of discourse but I don’t think it will since its a helpful moderation tool https://meta.discourse.org/

4 Likes

Yeah

Idk it just feels kinda weird :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

IPs are necessary in serious cases where IP bans are the best of only way of dealing with an offender.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Comparing forum roles

You don’t need the raw IP addresses to enforce IP bans.

3 Likes

It’s still useful (e.g. if someone’s using the same ISP and the same less common email provider as a spammer, knowing that can be useful)

4 Likes

Then couldn’t you just store those details you want and use a hash for the IP in storage?

3 Likes

You’d need to have the rDNS stored, and if you have that, any moderator could easily do a DNS lookup. Also, hashing would make enforcing a per-ip account limit difficult.

3 Likes

Would it be difficult? The same IP would match the same hash without collision.

Not exactly needed to be kept.

2 Likes

It’d help prevent abuse. Also, if you needed to ban an IP, you’d still need the actual IP.

4 Likes

Yes, you need the IP but you can keep it hashed. Then just check IPs against hashes. Not saying it should be added here or not. That depends on the threat model and how much data you want to collect. The more data you have, the easier to defeat ban evasion, etc but also the easier to become a target of hackers or other parties who would be interested in what you have stored.

2 Likes

Even if we are shown the hashed IP we can view our hased IP and it shouldn’t be too hard to do since we know our own IPs. Either way if you really don’t want mods and admins being able to view IPs its something to request on meta

4 Likes

On top of that, knowing us, do you really think we’re going to abuse our ability to see IPs?

4 Likes

Not a good feature: If one becomes promoted to moderator and see user IPs without a good reason, it would basically be misuse and well, say it’s the equivalent of IP-logging.

What if I got IP banned at school?

Probably not lol you seem nice

1 Like

If you got IP banned at school, it is most likely that the entire school would not be able to log in to Replit at all.